Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom 72 that is causing me some major grief..

Hadn't ridden it for a while, started first kick - happy days! Took off and it started spluttering big time and misfiring. Got it home, tuned the carbs and still no bingo. Left hand cylinder was running terrible and it was blowing black smoke and shooting the odd flame also!

Bought a new set of plugs, and the problem seemed fixed. I was riding it around this morning happy as you like then after about 45kms it started to splutter again and run like a smokers cough, stalling and spluttering, I barely got it home. It really struggles to start and won't idle well at all.

I pulled the plugs out, cleaned them, and it started first kick. But, it would just cut out if I tried to rev it at all..

Thoughts? I very new to the triumph world, not super mechanically, but does this sound like an electrical problem? I've checked the coil wires..probably need to get a tester out and see if I am getting a pulse or not.

Really appreciate it if someone has the midas touch with this annoying issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it sounds way rich on that left side...
Checked both carbs, pilot screw spot on (wound 2.5 times on both), slide lifts simultaneously, floats & jets good.

Ok, after some further tinkering I think it could be points, there seems to be an inconsistency in the gaps between the 2. I'll order some more of them and then see where I get to.

It has to be an ignition/condenser/points problem??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts