Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Datatool alarm and immobiliser fitted to the The Little Green Bike and just this week it has started behaving oddly.

The system self-arms as usual 30 seconds after engine shutdown and any attempt to start the bike with the key without first disarming it via the key fob sets the alarm off. So that's normal.

The fob can be used to set and unset the alarm as usual.

What's missing now is the red LED lamp that is usually lit when the alarm is on, and also the motion sensor seems to have stopped working - previously any movement to the bike with the alarm on would cause beeping and eventually the alarm would sound.

Before I schlepp it to the dealer for a check has anyone seen similar behaviour?

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
tbiller,
not to be a smart arse but have you thoroughly read the instruction manual?

The motion sensor can be disarmed separtely by using the other button, did you know that?

I am not be a smarty pants just trying to help.

I have has ny datatool system 3 on mine for two 1/2 years with no problems except you should be aware that the fobs can chew batteries I always keep a spare batt in my top draw and I ride with my spare fob as well just in case.

nullnullDatatool website

You will get better advice from Data tool than your dealer, my experience is I know more about my alarm than my dealer does.

The site has an email contact and I have had prompt replies from them when I had a querie about resting a key fob. Very helpfull folks.

DaveM
:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know all about the separate arming etc - I disable the motion sensor when moving the bike about the place etc. It's the fact that the red light isn't showing the bike as armed when it is.

I'll have a proper read of the manual as you suggest and thanks for the link too.

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Hi tbiller,
sorry I wasn't much of a help then, that does sound like a fault as you have suspected.

The datatool site will reply, prolly not on a weekend but I found them helpful hopefully you will too.

It is the sort of thing which would be a real pain in the butt if not working properly.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Now this is interesting. I have always put mine into service mode when I could have turned off the movement detector. What is interesting, is that I cannot find the flashing LED on the bike. I will have to look under the seat and see if I can trace it. The system was on the bike since I bought it 2nd hand, and it was Triumph fitted with a certificate of installation.

Kev

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my old VFR the LED was mounted in the tail unit and after a few years the connecting wires (which are very small dia) corroded through at the LED and the light stopped working but otherwise the alarm operated OK.

·
Registered
459 Posts
On 2007-02-03 04:17, DaveM wrote:
Kev,
the LED is in the parking light above and between your headlights.

It should flash red when it is armed.

Unless I have misunderstood what you mean mate.

I haven't found it there. Will have another look tomorrow when its not dark.

Kev

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had the back plastics off today. I can't find any led or cable that would have led. I can't turn off the motion sensor. When I try the triangle button. Mostly nothing happens. When I press the triangle button sometimes, I get a screech from the alarm but the motion detector still operates. This thing is just [email protected]! I wish it wasn't fitted. May well pay someone to remove the bloody thing! :???:

Kev

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree but what do I do. The alarm was installed 22.06.2002 by Damerells in St Austell. I got the bike 17.08.2006 from Bridge Motorcycles Exeter. There won't be any warrantee left. It works ok except

a. I have to put it into service mode to stop the motion sensor
b. It automatically arms after 30 secs.

Kev

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Kev,
I would send data tool an email from their website and ask if they can offer any cost effective useful suggestions.

I agree with you that would be very annoying with the system working like that. It is a good alarm system if installed correctly.

·
Registered
459 Posts
On 2007-02-06 04:59, DaveM wrote:
Kev,
I would send data tool an email from their website and ask if they can offer any cost effective useful suggestions.

I agree with you that would be very annoying with the system working like that. It is a good alarm system if installed correctly.

I will. Will let you know how I get on.

Kev

·
Registered
459 Posts
Update - E-mailed datatool yesterday evening and explained the problem. Datatool called me at 0930 at work on my mobile - how good is that :-D They suggested that all is not well and that I had the following options:

a. If I am happy that the alarm is working ok - do nothing

b. Have somebody remove the alarm.

c. Replace the circuit board in the alarm. Now the circuit board is no longer available for the Evo veto (boo). The circuit board for the system 3 will fit (hooray) and is supplied with 2 new fobs. 4 screws and the alarm cover comes off, 4 more little screws and replace board. easily done at home. Circuit board and aerial wire cost £142. Expensive, but it means you will have a new alarm. Still too expensive for me as I need a new battery for the bike, and 2 rear tyres for the car soon. We will see what happens after easter.

Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts