Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using aftermarket mirrors other than bar end mirrors?

I live in CA where it's legal to filter between cars and seeing as how the STR bars are already wide, I didn't want to make them even wider with bar end mirrors and run the risk of hitting car side mirrors. I currently have Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors on and i'm on the fence with them. Would really just like a good looking pair of mirrors on the bar location that has good viewing angles and not just views of my elbows.

Considering trying these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lightech-aluminum-mirrors-series-1

Anyone with any experience with mirrors, please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have Arlen Ness mirrors on two of my bikes, and will have them on the new bike soon. The quality seems to be good, and I like the way they look.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Whyyyyyy doesn't anyone make mirrors with an adjustment screw/ locking screw at the ball hinge on the mirror side. Pretty much any motorcycle mirror I've ever had has folded in above 80ish mph. Incredibly frustrating. One of the reasons my bike only has 1 mirror.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put on Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. There was a bit of a "getting used to it" period, but honestly, now I'm very used to them and very happy. I think they are a bit expensive/poor value, but I've seen a lot of cheaper - and crappier - mirrors.

I never wanted bar ends, and I use my mirrors a lot, functionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put on Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. There was a bit of a "getting used to it" period, but honestly, now I'm very used to them and very happy. I think they are a bit expensive/poor value, but I've seen a lot of cheaper - and crappier - mirrors.

In terms of viewing angles, do these mirrors just show your arms or do you actually get a view of what's behind/side of you? The issue with the stock mirrors were that I'd have to bend down while riding to get a view of what was behind. More distracting than safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Usual disclaimers about everyone being different, riding positions, etc etc.

It took 3-4 rides for me to feel good about where I had them positioned - and I agonized as I measured pre-purchase (the glass area is smaller than stock, the length of stalk and height are less) - but honestly, I feel they are much better for viewing on either side. The way I have them, I see only the smallest bit of my arm, and clearly to the side. I sometimes tuck my arm a bit in to see straight behind me (e.g. lanesplitting and unsure if there's a rider splitting behind me) but to check lanes for changes, or traffic behind me at speed they're a huge improvement. I'm about 5'10.

The stock mirrors were all kinds of wrong for me, compounded by, I don't think the bend in the stock handlebar is quite right either (for grip position/length/mirror mount). Before switching mirrors I did adjust the rotation of the handlebar a bit and it did help with the ergos, but not as much as replacing the mirrors. Rizomas are a real leap of faith, but in my case, I don't look back and think of the cost - I'm happy with them functionally and aesthetically (mostly - they're not perfect).

·
Registered
26 Posts
It probably doesn't need mentioned, but some don't think about it when searching mirrors... convex mirrors give a larger view of the road than flat mirrors of the same size. You just have to remember the distance is "off" "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's actually the reason I installed bar ends, because yes, I like to use my mirrors 'functionally' (i.e. see what is behind me). The view in my Reverse Retro's is simply excellent, even when I drive ADV bikes with big elephant ears I don't feel they offer a better view back. They seem small, but the field of view is very large, they don't shake/vibe, and as they are so far beyond your elbows they actually give you the real view of what is happening behind.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
That's actually the reason I installed bar ends, because yes, I like to use my mirrors 'functionally' (i.e. see what is behind me). The view in my Reverse Retro's is simply excellent, even when I drive ADV bikes with big elephant ears I don't feel they offer a better view back. They seem small, but the field of view is very large, they don't shake/vibe, and as they are so far beyond your elbows they actually give you the real view of what is happening behind.
This is the exact reason I have bar end mirrors. I started my trials about 4 bikes ago, and after several different types and far too much money spent, I ended up with CRG Arrows. I've now had them on my last three bikes. They replaced the virtually worthless fairing mounted ones on my Honda NC30 and Suzuki SV650S and the completely worthless bar mounted ones on my Street Triple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the lightech mirrors installed and so far so good. The quality is good, they're solid heavy mirrors and they don't vibrate. The mirrors are not convex but there's enough mirror surface area to see a good amount. They do not provide the best REAR view but the SIDE views are perfect. To see behind, I just have to shift my head a little or tuck my arm in a tad. I did initially have an issue with them folding in at freeway speeds but that has been fixed with some tightening at the mirror adjustment collar. Learned you have to rotate the mirror and tighten the collar at the same time for it to lock in place if that makes sense. They do not fold at speeds of up to 80mph as that's the speed I tested them at. Not sure if they'll fold at speeds higher than 80mph but I doubt they'd budge.

In my honest opinion, you can probably find a similar looking set for 1/4 of the cost on Ebay that could be just as good. The only thing I'd watch out for would be the mirrors folding in at freeway speeds. Most of the Ebay mirrors i've seen don't have a way to tighten the ball joint on the mirror itself.

Pics below. Didn't have a chance to take any detailed shots as I was at work but this is how it looks on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone using aftermarket mirrors other than bar end mirrors?

I live in CA where it's legal to filter between cars and seeing as how the STR bars are already wide, I didn't want to make them even wider with bar end mirrors and run the risk of hitting car side mirrors. I currently have Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors on and i'm on the fence with them. Would really just like a good looking pair of mirrors on the bar location that has good viewing angles and not just views of my elbows.

Considering trying these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lightech-aluminum-mirrors-series-1

Anyone with any experience with mirrors, please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks!
hey what did end up going with?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For those that are using the arrows on an R or S, what type of hardware did you use to filling the holes for the former “bunny ear” mirrors? Also, what did you end up using on the bar-ends? Sliders? Caps?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the bar ends I got R&G Racing Bar End Sliders. The arrows come with some plastic caps you can use. I ended up ordering Aluminium Dome Head Bolt M10 x (1.25mm) x 25mm and taking a hacksaw to it to shorten it up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the bar ends I got R&G Racing Bar End Sliders. The arrows come with some plastic caps you can use. I ended up ordering Aluminium Dome Head Bolt M10 x (1.25mm) x 25mm and taking a hacksaw to it to shorten it up.
Thank you. I didn’t see any caps included with mine for some reason. You are referring to caps for the bar ends, right?

Did you consider just cutting down the original mirror bolts with a dremel? I was considering that, but it might prove too difficult

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the plastic caps I was meaning for the bunny ear holes. I ended up stripping one of the original mirror bolts, the red loctite on it was super pain in the ass. Oddly the other went fine.

These for the bar ends: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-bar-end-sliders
Thanks for the heads up on the sliders. I’m ordering them especially since they’re reasonably priced.

I had a similar issue removing the right mirror bolt. It’s actually still stuck. I guess they made that one tighter bc it holds the brake fluid accessory. How did you overcome stripping the bolt?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts