Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I was wondering if more T100 riders have the problem of their mirrors (original) moving inwards when increasing acceleration or at high speeds? (above 120km/h - 75 mp/h). And if anyone has a solution for this... The original mirrors are (in my opinion) weirdly fitted with a single bolt going upwards and with a surrounding sheet of metal ('Tolerance ring'?), supposedly creating a tight fit. But they become rather loose after some time, I have replaced them multiple times but the problems seems to remain.

Does anyone encountered this and found any fixes?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I replaced my stock Triumph mirrors years ago with a Yamaha stalk and mirror. The stalk is threaded and there is either a flange nut or a washer and nut that tightens from below. IIRC the mirror is from a VMax and Yamaha used them on any number of their bikes. The mirrors were quite commonly available via eBay and I think emgo marketed them too. The stock mirrors have an unusual arrangement - part 32, which I think is a compression "ring". The mirrors I'm using are like these: Mirrors PAIR Right/Left 1985-2004 Yamaha V-Max1200 20-86831+20-86832 | eBay

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
It's been a long time since this question came up, and the fix is easy and cheap. There's a useless "wavy washer" under each mirror stalk. Replace it with a thickish stainless steel washer or split lockwasher of the same internal diameter (I forget the size).

This will allow you to tighten the mirror sufficiently to prevent it from moving.

Do not try to tighten it any more with the thin washer in place. The problem is that the screw bottoms out and not only will that not fix the problem, but you risk stripping threads. The new washer will be thick enough to allow sufficient tightening.

Reactions: stoanee and Back2-2

·
Registered
62 Posts
They're designed that way - you don't need mirrors when your'e accelerating because nothing will be coming up behind you, so they're designed to fold back above a certain speed to reduce air resistance !! - but seriously, I had the same problem on my 2008 America EFI, it's a crap design in my opinion - I got round it by adding a couple more washers to the original (31 in the drawing), I used s/steel 'crinkle' washers, but you could also use a fibre washer sandwiched between two plain washers - they still move, but are a lot stiffer. The solution proposed by grebmrof sounds like a much better idea, but will obviously cost a bit more ......

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The easy, cheap, no cost fix is to re bend the wavy washer. I did mine about three years ago and all is good. The reason it's there is if the mirror hits something it can move against the resistance of the wavy, spring washer. If you brush up against something or drop the bike with thicker washers it is bolted solid and the stem may bend or brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your responses!

I'd rather keep the original mirrors for the look of the bike so another mirror set is not the best option for me. I will try to fit some different washers and check if it helps them become more tight!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses!

I'd rather keep the original mirrors for the look of the bike so another mirror set is not the best option for me. I will try to fit some different washers and check if it helps them become more tight!
I used a few serrated lock washers and the mirrors and now tight enough but still movable! So this is fixed (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts