·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and yes i think its funny that ive posted a question like this and created a poll but i just can't decide and maybe something will sway me and i need new mirrors soon!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Hey everyone. first time posting here. and first time triumph owner. psyched. though i can't decide which mirrors to get and can't find them locally which is a major bummer. here are the two i've come down to:

http://www.motobike.jp/data/motobike/product/ag-101_a2.jpg
http://www.motobike.jp/zoom/5780

or

http://www.british-customs.com/napoleon-screw-in-mirror-triumph-motorcycles-c-5-p-5-pr-1714.html#
My own opinion is that (on this bike at least), screw in mirrors mounted on top of the bars are
a) difficult to use because your arms/shoulders are always in the way
b) look ugly anyhow.

I went for CRG bar end mirrors - they are great - slightly smaller field of vision but you can always see behind and they don't vibrate at all and they fold out of the way when parked if you need the space.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ditto on the previous post. I couldn't see much more than my shoulders with the stock mirrors. I've got the Triumph-branded Napoleons and I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Triton.

I see where your coming from, but I just can't stand the extra width and caution bar end mirrors create. I'm gonna try the screw-ins and see how they go.

Nice bike, btw!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Triton.

I see where your coming from, but I just can't stand the extra width and caution bar end mirrors create. I'm gonna try the screw-ins and see how they go.

Nice bike, btw!
Thanks - they do fold out of the way - but each to his own! It's an easy fix if you change your mind anyway!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had the same problem with the shoulders so after reviewing past threads i went w/ mtn bike mirrors by mirrycle, $17 each,

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have the screw ons and I like the way they look better than the bar ends. The lines look great. The visibility is a little tough with the shoulders but not much and I'm a big guy. You just have to lean a little. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i have the screw ons and I like the way they look better than the bar ends. The lines look great. The visibility is a little tough with the shoulders but not much and I'm a big guy. You just have to lean a little. Not a big deal.

To each his own I guess. The first thing I did when I got my Thrux home was to take off the stock mirrors. They were so ugly that that dealer in NYC wouldn't show the pre-2009 bikes with the stock mirrors, and I thought the bar ends came stock as per the Triumph website. The coolest look is actually no mirrors, which I rocked for at least six months until getting hassled by a few cops caused me to get the official Triumph bar ends made by Napoleon. I really like the way they look, but the extra width in traffic takes some getting used to and in any event you cannot rely on mirrors to know what is behind you - you've got to turn your head if you are going to change lanes. The CRG retractable round mirrors look great on Monsters but I am not feeling them on the Thrux.

·
Registered
616 Posts
To each his own I guess. The first thing I did when I got my Thrux home was to take off the stock mirrors. They were so ugly that that dealer in NYC wouldn't show the pre-2009 bikes with the stock mirrors, and I thought the bar ends came stock as per the Triumph website. The coolest look is actually no mirrors, which I rocked for at least six months until getting hassled by a few cops caused me to get the official Triumph bar ends made by Napoleon. I really like the way they look, but the extra width in traffic takes some getting used to and in any event you cannot rely on mirrors to know what is behind you - you've got to turn your head if you are going to change lanes. The CRG retractable round mirrors look great on Monsters but I am not feeling them on the Thrux.
I was really amazed at how much different the entire bike looked when I put the bar-ends on. It gives the whole bike a much more aggressive look. I agree with the CRG's -- too modern looking for my eye.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Personally i like the CRG lanesplitters the best. Removing the stock mirrors was my first mod, and i initially had the triumph bar end mirrors, but had issues with them coming loose often (if you use these your best bet is to use thread lock/locktite but dont overtighten them because the threads are easily stripped!) so i switched to the CRG's. both the triumph bar ends and the CRG's have way better visibility than the stock mirrors, and will admit the triumph bar ends were a little better as far as the CRG mirrors, but only because they were a bit larger and allowed you to see more. with that said i still switched to the CRG lane splitters because they dont come loose, offer a lower profile, and i actually use the lane splitter feature whenever i am splitting lanes here in california and find it very useful.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
These work for me.

They're made by Motrax but are the same design as the Oberon ones. Esy to remove, one grub screw, and the bar ends stay in.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I'm the opposite of the rest of the lot here. I've had a couple different bar end mirrors (inlcuding the CRGs) on my Thruxton and have gone back to the stock mirrors. I was having to ook away from the road to see the bar end mirrors (however briefly) and then couldn't see much in them anyway. Cagers around here will kill you if you can't see them. I also could not see most of the the riders behind me when leading rides.

Yes, the bar ends clean up the look, but in my opinion they don't work very well as mirrors. I'll be watching to see what the original poster reports after making his choice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
for myself, the bar ends are safer because i can easily glance at the mirrors and see my blind spot, where as stock mirrors (on all the bikes i've ridden) i have to shift my torso forward to clear my shoulder blocking the view. it's all a matter of personal preference, i guess.

oh and one more thing...

MIRRORS DO NOT REPLACE SHOULDER CHECKING :) (but you all know that already)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bar end Mod vs spending $$$

You could try using that extra pair of bar ends mirrors that came with the bike

then you can see if you like the bar end benefit & style of riding

just take the stocks off and un -screw them form the shafts and convert them to bar ends

The methods has been covered a couple times with pictures just a couple of weeks ago

My vote is for bar ends as far as which one thats up to you

CRG's or Nappy's are the way to go --both have pro + cons

1 - 20 of 22 Posts