Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are a ton of threads talking about swapping mirrors on the 955's but other than OND (I think) nothing else about the newer bikes.

I see only about 20-30% of the mirror worth, the rest is filled with a view of my elbows. This is tilted out all the way, no option to go further outward.

I am open to putting on mirrors without turn signals and putting bugs on the fairing - but not sure what will work on the mirror housing front. Trial and error could be hard, I've shopped around and not much great info out there.

Please help a widebody see behind me! My piloting sucks because of a lack of confidence without a good rear/side view. FWIW - I adjust my side mirrors for the blind spot, not behind me a la rally style.

Best.
Peet

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
There's a thread on here about taking the mirrors apart, and modifying it, so you can angle the glass out further. I also see a large portion of my "chunky" elbows! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did consider sucking in my elbows and doing a track day with my elbows out to get a sort of elbowectomy, but the pegs keep hitting the pavement before my elbow touches down. :(

I was going to actually take one apart to see what's what - but I was hoping there was some starter knowledge. If not - I'm happy to pioneer.

Peet

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
My swap to a set of VFR 2K mirrors was partially due to mirror glass vibrations and aesthetics. I do not like the look of the +05 mirrors so the vibration problem was a good excuse to bin them.

Once into the swap I decided to experiment with spacers and ended up with 1/4 inch being correct for me. I also reworked the arms so that they would fold closer to the fairing for tight parking situations. Along the way, it became apparent that swapping the mirror housings to opposite sides would raise them about one inch.

The first road test demonstrated that they were rock solid with clear images. I did not realize how much distortion the stock ones had. I can still see a very small bit of my elbows. I believe the only way to avoid that is to use a one half to one inch spacer. I also believe that spacing them out that far from your eye is going to somewhat increase the distance of a car behind you before its image appears in the mirror.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, that blind spot mirror thing is mildly interesting - but frankly still a hack. I'd rather do it the right way if possible.

I'm off to research OND's method!

·
Registered
938 Posts
My swap to a set of VFR 2K mirrors was partially due to mirror glass vibrations and aesthetics. I do not like the look of the +05 mirrors so the vibration problem was a good excuse to bin them.
OND just looking at your bike in the USD fork thread - I presume that is your silver beast? I think you just gave me a new project (the mirrors not the forks!). Did you pinch the middle faring screw hole for the wiring on those bud lights? All I need now is a VFR sitting unattended in a dark alley:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've never used them so I don't know, but what about bar end mirrors?
They do help show what the fairing mounted mirrors don't, but on bikes with clip-ons (even relatively high ones) I've found them less than optimal due to where they are. IMO it was awkward glancing that low. I used bar-end mirrors for a few months including a New England tour and it was better than the stockers alone but not as good as replacment mirrors I eventually installed.

The ergos are similar enough on my RS and the ST that I wouldn't recommend them. I do like bar-end mirrors on bikes with bars like the FZ1 and S3. The good thing about trying bar-end mirrors is that they don't have to be super-expensive to be quality and if they don't work out there's always someone with a streetfighter looking for some. I resold mine on ebay for the same as I paid when new.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
peeti,
Just remember that I did the mirror swap for aesthetics and fuzzy view, not to eliminate the elbow view. It did help in that respect, but did not eliminate the elbows entirely.

Mick,
Yes, I did not want to drill additional holes so I used the existing fairing fastener holes for the lights. Doing it that way retains the ability to revert back to stock if needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OND - I figured I could use extenders with those VFRs whereas I can't do that with the complex shape Triumph uses. Well, I may if I can bandsaw some solid material. We'll see once I get it all open.

thanks for the thoughts!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
OND, I have notorious ADD. I really like your mirror conversion. How and what? Did I miss a thread? Sorry for being duplicitious, but can you help a brother out?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The mirrors I installed on my bike were the Honda Y2K type that the pre 05 Sprint guys recommend.

Please let me explain why I don't share detailed info re the mirror installation. They are not a universal fit, and you have to do some drilling and elongations. Once that is done, you have to determine the best mirror orientation for your height and riding posture. This can involve spacers and/or mirror head exchanges from left to right. In my case, I remember that I had to do the complete installation three times before identifying the optimum spacing and alignment for myself. Once all of that is done, you discover that they will not fold back enough for parking lot damage prevention. This means radiusing and blending the arm contact points.

It is easier to do than it first appears, but is is what I consider "fussy" with a lot of trial fittings and opportunities to screw up.

Bottom line is, while I do offer suggestions, I am not comfortable providing specific details for anything that involves drilling, cutting, or any form of whittling on members' bikes that goes beyond stock configuration. There are too many variables.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Fair enough. I am a big boy, and am comfortable with the consequences of hacking up a perfectly functioning motorcycle:)

Thanks for the heads up, though. Your conversion looks great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts