Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy question, but how do the Bonneville mirrors mount? I've never taken mine off so I'm not sure if they screw in, if so what size, etc.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have recent experience here. They do not screw in. There is an allen head bolt that screws up into the bottom end of the stem. They just slip down into the hole with a thin piece of metal that appears to be a shim of some kind.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alot of aftermarket mirrors come with several mounting options. I was wondering if any of those would work. Several have the "S" stem, like the Bellecorse.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I bought some aftermarket mirrors with an adapter for bolt through situations like on my Speedy. Honestly it was a PITA to get them to sit straight and I ended up with a half dozen washers and a couple of sleeves plus loctite to keep them in place. I love the look of them much better than the plastic stock mirrors but it was a frustrating experience to make them fit.

It's a shame Triumph don't offer a variety of bolt on accessories. :???:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I got some Yamaha V-Max clone mirrors and screwed the mirror heads on the existing Triumph stalks (10 mm).

Shorty

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The Bella Corse ones I have came with additional hardware, bolts, washers, castle nuts, including a beveled washer that made a very snug fit. No vibration or other problems with them, it's just that they don't have long enough stems for rear vision.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I note that Thunderbike down here are doing some kind of mirror adaptor to universalise the Triumph fittings; haven't tried them but they're on their website, and quite cheap

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2006-12-18 14:26, DrPat wrote:
I note that Thunderbike down here are doing some kind of mirror adaptor to universalise the Triumph fittings; haven't tried them but they're on their website, and quite cheap
Give us a LINK to them, please sir.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-12-18 14:21, Shorty wrote:
I got some Yamaha V-Max clone mirrors and screwed the mirror heads on the existing Triumph stalks (10 mm).

Shorty
That's what I have but will soon be getting the Bellacorse "S" mirrors, and hoping to find a way to extend them.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Go with bar end mirrors. Even if you have only one of them, your visability is better than the stockers. You can get Western bars from Balla Corse that are close to stock dimensions so the mirrors go in the ends without all that work drilling out the stock weights. Go with Napoleon mirrors if you do-they are the highest quality.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2006-12-18 16:16, DrPat wrote:
here we go 5Bassman

http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/spi/tbike_scr

good luck with all this - the mirror saga is a bit of a pain - new Scrambler mirrors look like a Fennec fox's ears or something, and your girlfriend could do her face in 'em; but then these nice ovals from NB aren't really practical...
Thanks! But it doesn't seem to be avail for U.S. sale. Tried to put it in the checkout and it said not avail for this market. That sucks hind boobie! :mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't know if anyone knows this or not, but a Bar End mirror WILL work with stock bars.

I have a Napolean Bar End mirror that's meant to go inside the bar with that rubber piece and all, but wouldn't fit with the plugs inside the stock bars...

...So, you remove the rubber piece and hardware from the mirror, and get a longer metric bolt and washer, and just bolt the mirror to the "plug" in the stock bars. Voila! Piece of cake.

No more vibration than with the rubber thingy. Want a pic?

[ This message was edited by: SoCalRocker on 2006-12-18 19:37 ]

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recently got these off ebay

They were sold as Harley mirror adaptors but I can't see any reason why they wont work on the bonnie. However I haven't as yet fitted them.

Certainly opens up the mirror options.

Also available from their online store
Streetfighterstore

[ This message was edited by: Anne on 2006-12-19 04:53 ]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It sure does. Wish I was better at currency conversion. I suppose most other aftermarket mirrors have to screw into something, while ours just bolt through the hole. I'm still pondering what to do. I like the ovals but I would need the extenders for the stock stems that they sell on Jenks to get them out farther. Problem is after all that will I end up wanting a set of bar ends anyway. Anyone want to buy a set of new Chrome Oval Mirrors?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I am okay with the stock mirrors or ovals or any other mirror that has a longer stem. The stock mirrors offer very poor vision directly behind the bike. Does anyone know where to get a longer stem or stem extensions for the stock mirrors?
PjamesB

2006 Scrambler

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Naps on stock bars

Don't know if anyone knows this or not, but a Bar End mirror WILL work with stock bars.

I have a Napolean Bar End mirror that's meant to go inside the bar with that rubber piece and all, but wouldn't fit with the plugs inside the stock bars...

...So, you remove the rubber piece and hardware from the mirror, and get a longer metric bolt and washer, and just bolt the mirror to the "plug" in the stock bars. Voila! Piece of cake.
I spent about $5 at the hardware store and trimmed the little rubber insert thingy and got the naps onto my stock bars with no problems whatsoever and they are vibration free. If anyone wants to do this trick PM me with your email address and I will send you clear-cut direction on what to buy and what to do. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
old post i see but looking at the bella corse oval mirrors with the s shaped stem for my 2018 T120, they look good + even though the view may not be the best i will prolly go with them. bar end mirrors work for sure, but i dont care for the look. had small $$$$ rizomas on my traded 2012 mag wheeler, looked great but had to adj my body for them to work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts