Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start Speedy up, then leave the parking lot to an immediate stop sign. I turn right onto the street, then the rear tire gives way, and the S3 does a 360 pivoting on the front slider. Minor damage, the Rizoma rear brake lever is bent and the tip snapped off. The Rizoma right mirror gave way, just spinning on its bolt, only a few scratches. A few other minor scratches. I land on my right shoulder and upper back, and hit the right side of my head (Arai-equipped) on the concrete pavement. I am a little sore; we'll see how I feel tomorrow. Notes: It happened so fast, I was on the pavement before I knew what was happening. I looked at the pavement, expecting something there that caused me to lose traction, particularly since they had spread sand on the roads during the snows of last week - nothing. I thought and thought about what could have caused it as I headed home, a bit spooked because it seemed inexplicible, like it could happen at any random moment. I eventually came to figure that it was due to cold tires. The S3 had been sitting outside in upper 30s to low 40s (F) for four hours. I must have pushed a little too much torque into it before the tires got warm enough. Does that make sense? Any other causes you can think of? I would really like to learn from this. At least I can learn a lesson out of it. It sure sucks to feel like a dumbass.

BTW, Thank God for the Skyking front slider. Now I need to get some lower engine protectors.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You are most likely correct on the tire being the issue if you couldn't see any debris that would have casued it. Colder weather can be a tires worst enemy for traction. Just make sure to warm them up a bit before getting throttle happy. Glad you are o.k. and no major damage to the bike, gives it a little character..........

·
Registered
309 Posts
I scared myself sh-tless back in chicago on my 78 gs750 with cold tires... man i was just turning to go to work back when i was a cycle noob and gave it a little gas (my ride to work was under a mile so I had to make the most of it) the thing fishtailed so bad I thought i was gonna ruin my leather jacket with the pavement.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I did the dreaded fishtail with cold NEW tires once. Back was sliding side-to-side. Don't know how I kept the bike up, but I luckily did.

Yes, yours most likely was due to cold tires.

Capt.

·
Registered
436 Posts
On 2006-12-07 01:37, Goffe wrote:BTW, Thank God for the Skyking front slider. Now I need to get some lower engine protectors.
Did your cases get damaged with the Sky King sliders installed? I am assuming you have the front mount near the radiator like me. Always wondered if the cases would touch on a low speed slide.

How about some pics?

This bike makes torque down low so I think you broke traction on a cold tire since nothing else was there to blame.
Shake your confidence for sure. If road and weather conditions are perfect I will lean mine over until hard parts scrape but I pick my conditions very carefully.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
well that just sucks goffe! :( If it makes ya feel any better, I did the exact same thing with my 99 R1, just cold tires and cold pavement, pulling out of work around 20 mph, and KABLAM, I was on my ass before I knew it. Hope ya git to feeling better man, and hope the speedy isn't too bad, doesn't sound like it. It didn't damage them ol' squids any did it? :(

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the assuring words. Lesson learned. I am a bit more sore today, especially my right knee; hopefully nothing a little rest and ice can't cure. Pictures are coming shortly...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Geoff,

I had a similar incident back in Jan. on my old 99' S3. I was pulling out of 7-11, gave it some gas and the back spun up and kicked out to the right, came back left and immeditaly hooked up. Spit me out of the seat and I started to fall to the left. So instinctly stuck out my left leg to catch myself, not realizing I was still going about 20mph. I saved the bike, but torn my ACL off the bone. :-D I had brand new Bridgestones. I told wifey that i was going to the store for smokes(3 miles from the house) came back..she had to almost carry me in the house :hammer: I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 2006-12-07 16:45, huff955 wrote:
Geoff,

I had a similar incident back in Jan. on my old 99' S3. I was pulling out of 7-11, gave it some gas and the back spun up and kicked out to the right, came back left and immeditaly hooked up. Spit me out of the seat and I started to fall to the left. So instinctly stuck out my left leg to catch myself, not realizing I was still going about 20mph. I saved the bike, but torn my ACL off the bone. :-D I had brand new Bridgestones. I told wifey that i was going to the store for smokes(3 miles from the house) came back..she had to almost carry me in the house :hammer: I feel your pain.
Ouch! Surgery, I assume? How long were you laid up?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow Goffe that just sucks. Good thing no one was right behind you when you went down. Hope you are back to your old self soon.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2006-12-07 18:05, OKCTriple wrote:
Wow Goffe that just sucks. Good thing no one was right behind you when you went down. Hope you are back to your old self soon.
Yeah, Thankfully no one was coming in either directon, on an arterial (15th Ave NE in Seattle, if anyone cares). In a way, that's too bad. I wish someone could have seen it, even from a distance, and described what happened.

Speaking of "old self," I am sure feeling it. Man, one lousy tumble onto concrete, and I am still sore after two days. :roll: :-D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I once pulled out of my road on my old CBR600, overtook a car and highsided on a wet patch in the middle of the main road, threw me totally off the bike with only one hand (throttle) still in touch. Landed back on the [email protected] by pure luck and it actually wobbled back into a straight line. Taught me a lot about warming up tyres, damp patches... and it wasn't even cold!!!.

Glad to hear that you are ok, treat that throttle with kid gloves in the cold.

·
Registered
187 Posts
glad hear that you'll be allright Goffe, maybe it's time to hit the gym when you heal up and toughen up the body a little. knock on wood I haven't fallen on the S3, but did flip over the handlebar while riding my mountain bike down the Brooklyn Bridge, this lady step right in front of me to take a pic and I slam on my disc brakes and went flying to avoid her. Tried to tuck and roll but landed on my backpack. btw, what kind of tires do you have?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts