Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after moving to the Minneapolis area last Oct, I finally ventured out to one of the local dealers. Now moving here from Albuquerque NM, has been a shock, and one of the few favorite things I left behind was a good dealer, PJ's, where I knew the people, the owner sold me my bike, people knew me when I came in. I visited the local "super store" here and didnt feel anything, there was no soul or character to the place, just a huge building with lots of bikes from several manufacturers, I almost feel like it was a waste of a good Saturday afternoon driving down there, as its not that close to where I live at all. Anyway, just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the different dealers in the Minneapolis area, and if there are any that are better then others. Any good hidden places out there for parts?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I hear ya. It also feels to me like Motoprimo lost its soul when they closed the downtown store. A lot of the same people work there however and thats always a good thing. I did have to do an emergency rear tire aquisition at Motoprimo last summer, and the serivce people at Motoprimo (though I didn't know them) were fine, got the job done at a cost that was reasonable in a reasonable amount of time without an appointment. The other Twin Cities Triumph dealer in in Belle Plaine (I think) which is on US 169 south of Shakopee. I was in the store once but it was closing time and I can't really give an opinion. A couple of others here know them though and I think they like Belle Plaine pretty well. I do all my servicing now in Eau Claire, I know the owners son's name and visa versa and can just call and we know who each other is talking too. they also will let me use a loaner if they have a used bike hanging around and my wait time is going to be a couple of hours or so. The Eau Claire dealer is called Sport Rider. Time wise it probably would cost you an additional hour for the round trip if you decided to service there. The up side to that is it would probably cost you a lot more time than that because of the shear number of "alternate" route opportunities going to or coming from Eau Claire, I say that as a good thing. Route options from Anoka to Lakeville are limited and freeway related. None of those south/north bound freeways are pleasant trips thru the city.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dealers in minneapolis

Hi mate, I will have to agree about the Triumph dealers in Minnesota. I would not have anything done at Belle Plain . They tried to stitch me up with the price of new oil on a fault on my bike when it was still under warranty. I know that they just stuck the old oil back in. The one in Lakeville is ok for parts. They did have a shop in Minneapolis but closed down. The best Triumph dealer in the area is Sport Rider in Altoona, Wisconsin. tel 715 834 0244 . They are family owned and very nice folks. I brought my rocket 3 there way back in 06, It was $2000 cheaper than in minnesota. Cheers ..

·
30,517 Posts
I have had no problems at Belle Plaine, and wouldn't touch motoprimo.

Welcome to Minnesnowta - so you made it up here? I remember you saying it was looking like you were going to move this way!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was in the Savage, MN area for several years. I would not bother with moto primo - that place sucks. It is hard to beleive that they are able to stay in bussines.

Belle Plaine motorsports seemed to be a lot better. And there are some nice back road routes to get there from the cities.

·
30,517 Posts
For service work I have heard that Blue Cat motors are very good - I haven't tried them myself, but I know someone who had the 12K valve job done there, and he seemed pretty happy. Apparently one of the service techs there used to work at motoprimo and was one of their main Triumph techs before they closed the minneapolis store. It's an option to consider. http://www.bluecatmotors.com/

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Blaine. Also not much worried about service, I can do just about any and all myself. Need a good place for parts, and to go check out the bikes once in awhile, and a good ride to get there wouldnt be bad either! I may have to check out that Blue Cat Motors one of these days. Also anyone go to the first thursday events? I hear they are pretty cool.

Nathan

·
30,517 Posts
Well there are some very picturesque roads close to Belle Plaine. We should hook up sometime. I've never done the first thursday thing, but I've met with the Belle Plaine RAT a couple of times, they're a good bunch. There's a few of us ride out now and again too.

Belle Plaine is only a small dealer, but they're friendly, and I have never had a problem ordering parts from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 on Belle Plaine

I live in Mankato and i love to take the Minnesota River Valley Scenic Byway up to belle plain. that's where it ends :(

·
30,517 Posts
The Minnesota river road goes all the way out through granite falls surely....:confused:

Ah - I suppose it depends which way you go of course. I typically start that ride in Belle Plaine. There is some good riding around there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah depending on which way you go... if you start in Belle Plaine it goes SW to New Ulm, then takes a big turn NW all the way to South Dakota

·
Registered
54 Posts
:)

Thanks for the info and a touch of youth. I grew up in north western Iowa, and we'd go to Mankato all the time and ocasionally would make it up to the cities going that way. Pretty area for sure. Anyway thanks also for your opinions on both Motoprimo and the Dealership in Belle Plaine. I have been in Motoprimo to browse once at there newer place in Lakeville, it was a nice store, but it seemed odd to me that they had gotten alot of used bikes at auction with missing parts and what not. Most of them were pretty tore up in my opinion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
just stumbling on this thread... I just relocated to the twin cities area wanted to get some opinions on dealers.

so the consensus is that I should go to Belle Plaine?

sounds pretty good, I'll maybe take a ride out there this weekend and check out the store. it's about an hour away but it might be a nice ride.

·
30,517 Posts
Belle Plaine is by far the best. Small, family owned, friendly. They have their quirkes, but I won't set foot in moto primo.

There is some good riding around the Belle Plaine area too, which I find I said before :D. They have an active RAT pack as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts