Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the minimum steps you would recommend for winterizing (midwest) an 08 speed triple? I've had my other motorcycle (2000 R6) since new and always just pulled the battery, put stabil in it, made sure it was clean, covered, garaged and have always been good to go in the spring with a bike that has never had any mechanical problems and still looks like new.

I've read some previous threads and it seems that many do a lot more for the speed triples. I'm not too lazy to take care of my bike but I will be honest in saying that I have very little interest in mechanical issues and have as much faith in my mechanical abilities. I intend to keep this bike for a long time and want to keep it in good shape and running well. So with keeping it simple in mind what would you all recommend for the winter to keep the bike looking and running well? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is more for just the tires, but keep it on a stand. Tires tend to get flat and hold the shape of the surface they're on over a long period of time. If a stand is not an option, at the very least bring the PSI a bit over normal, prop up the tires on planks of wood, keep it centered and once in a while (every 2-3 weeks) rotate the tires. Again, this is only so the tires are still good come spring. If they're almost bald and you want to change em anyways don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I find that a few blasts of Georgia Mountain Road helps to winterize it best. Repeat in Dec., Jan., and Feb...
Barring that, stabil and pulling the battery/keeping it on a battery tender, making sure it's cleaned/lubed etc. is really all you should have to do. I think the days of having to fog cylinders etc. are gone. Tires do tend to flat spot, but I always seem to need new one's in the spring anyways...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts