Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Garmin Oregon handheld GPS and looking for a mount for 07 Bonnie with stock handlebar (1").

I know RAM makes quite nice looking mount, but I'm looking for something less pronouncing mount that I can leave the base on the bar without sticking out too much or take the entire thing off when I'm not using GPS (e.g. coffee shop ride)

Any recommendations or tips? Are you using something other than dedicated mounts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check out www.ram-mount.com. A cradle for the Oregon is about $11.00 and the motorcycle handlbar mounts run around $30-35.

I ordered the cradle and mount for my Garmin Nuvi 500 and love it. I can take it on and off the bike in seconds, it's extremely adjustable, and rock solid.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here is what my ram-mount looks like with the GPS removed:

Its pretty "out of the way"... though mine kind of blends with my mirror stalk, so it is less obvious.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys.

Buckeye,

As I mentioned, I was looking for something other than RAM, but after researching more, I pretty much concluded RAM is just far better than any others. Vibration is a big factor for motorcycle mount, and some have reported that excessive vibration caused GPS units to shut down in some cases. I think RAM would do fat better job with two rubber ball joints than something like what Garmin sells.

hobbes80,

Hey, thanks a lot for the picture. This really helped me decide on getting RAM mount. I've ordered a set with cradle for Oregon.

One thing I couldn't really see from those product shots was how GPS unit is held by the cradle. I hope it will not cause the unit to pop out, but I'm make sure I'll have a bungee cord attached to the strap hole of the unit just to be extra careful..

Thanks again!

·
Registered
592 Posts
One thing I couldn't really see from those product shots was how GPS unit is held by the cradle. I hope it will not cause the unit to pop out, but I'm make sure I'll have a bungee cord attached to the strap hole of the unit just to be extra careful.
I was worried about the same thing. I don't know which GPS your getting, but the Zumo has pins in bottom that stick into the unit where the connector is, then pins that stick into the top with a clip that locks it into place. For extra safety, there is a screw that requires a special tool (included with the GPS mount) that screws into a hole on the top of the GPS. The GPS is NOT coming out of the cradle... I'd sooner expect the piece that grips the two balls (I admit it, I giggled when I typed that) of the ram-mount to lose grip on one of the balls then the GPS to come out of the cradle.

Whoever designed it was certainly away that we abuse our bikes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was worried about the same thing. I don't know which GPS your getting, but the Zumo has pins in bottom that stick into the unit where the connector is, then pins that stick into the top with a clip that locks it into place. For extra safety, there is a screw that requires a special tool (included with the GPS mount) that screws into a hole on the top of the GPS. The GPS is NOT coming out of the cradle...
I see. My GPS is Garmin Oregon 300, which has a slot for mounts and other accessories same as Colorado models. This is a new system for Garmin handhelds (only Colorado and Oregon at the moment), and I doubt the RAM cradle utilizes this mechanism. Google search gave me pretty much no info about mounting Oregon to RAM. I'll see how it goes and report back for others may be considering same setup... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.