Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Look at MikesXS online- Yamaha gear but some huse the mini gauges with success. I have the mini speedo and it works very well - better than stock!

·
Registered
333 Posts
i got the drag specilites mini tach, works great, not to big, fits in the little cut out area perfect, fab a bracket from some flat bar i had laying around, have had it for about 2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drag specilites mini tach

drag specilites mini tach? Can you send me a link as I cant find them on the web. A picture of your set up would also be great if can. I dont really know how capable I am at making a bracket but i guess i can get someone to do it for me.
Thanks also for yamaha gear website david, I must research the idea of my own set up more, as though I would like a tacho I dont really want to change my speedo unit to the T100.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/46211-aftermarket-tach-install.html

Don't know about that other link posted in the above message - It does not work on my machine....

Anyway, check out the thread I mentioned. Very first post there has a picture of the mini tach from Drag Specialities. Mine does not have that logo on there like in the photo, which is how I prefer it. I got mine on eBay - $50. Takes about 15 minutes to install. Do some research to make sure you cut the right wires (really simple to do and the threads here will tell you exactly what to do - search "drag specialities").

EDIT: Just went and read the entire thread that I posted in this message. All the details are there, it will hook you right up. The second message in there, shows the non-logo'd tach. That's the one I got on eBay, same bracket as in the photo. I cut one "leg" off that bracket and mounted it right on my bike, looks good and works even better. Accurate too, I beleive, based on what i have read in other posts concerning 19 tooth sprockets, gear ratios, etc (or else we are all off hte same amount!).

Here's a picture (from aforementioned thread) of what mine looks like -- this is not mine, but almost identical....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks WYO

Thats exactly the look I was hoping for (though would have liked red line, but can live without that) I have not at this stage checked out the part number for tacho on drag site, or your instructions you provided link for (thanks for that to, you are making my life very easy). But will do after this adrenaline rush of excitement has gone and most def gonna have a go at it. So I may be hassling you more. Many thanks
David

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hassle away....

And BTW, the top of the tach does screw off, I think... Put some red scotch tape across the 7 an 8 (isn't redline 8200rpms anyway?).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hassling begins

Contacted drag and they do 1 7/8" or 2 1/4" which one do you have? They only do them with Drag showing on the face by the way.
Also I have come across this one http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?PID=1609763&PID=1609763&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008924&catalogId=10111&catalogId=10101&productId=2008924&langId=-1&langId=-1&SID=tfc_-_15_1_090130_43d53fdb08c14252a6ce606972b511aa&SID=tfc_-_15_1_090130_43d53fdb08c14252a6ce606972b511aa&AID=10273849&AID=10273849&storeId=10101&storeId=10101 only available in 2 1/4" Very good price but not sure if too big. Many thanks in advance WYO

p.s Dave Re red line. Its just an asthetic thing and not for any technical reason

David

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Careful with the JC Whitney tach....

Mechanical-drive units for custom choppers, cafe racers or .....

Note that first word. You do not want a mechcanical tach.

I just tried to check on eBay for you -- strange... couldn't find one at all!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Name brand

Hey Easy
Thanks for making such an effort and it is the best price so far for name brand.
I am not really worried re name brand and would prefer no brand to show, but I do have this great little Triumph sticker that will fit right over the drag sign, and as the top comes off will work well. Knew I would find a use for it. Am assuming then that size I need is 1-7/8" diameter.

Not heard back from JC yet
David

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'd think the 1 7/8" would work very well. It should tuck in nicely into the niche next to the speedo while being readable yet unobtrusive. That's the one I'm going for anyway...:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Read the link wyobonnie posted it has ALL the info you need, including drag specialties part numbers, and photos of the mounted tach. I personally think the 1-7/8" tachs are too small, and you probably want a 8000 rpm one, as the rev limit is less than that.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts