Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this realizing there are many factors that go into the mileage one gets out of tires depending on riding style and the amount of load you're lugging, so let's say I ride on the moderately aggressive side with the saddlebags and a top strap-on bag loaded with about 30 lbs of gear. With that in mind...

1. Does anyone out there who owns an '07-'09 Tiger with the stock Michelin Pilot Road S tires have any feedback on the miles you're getting out of those puppies?

2. Does anyone have any feedback on another set of tires you're running instead?

-Teacherman

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just posted on another tire thread. I changed the original pilots at 8000 miles. They started to feel strange and handling fell off considerably. I put on Dunlop roadsmarts and they were superb on snow in the mountains and in the rain and muddy construction zones. But after 5000 miles of being fully loaded on a long trek, they are flat spotted in the center section. I haven't noticed any handling issues yet and there is still tread in the center, but they are worn square and look weird. I may have to get another set of tires yet this year. Expensive to use up a set so quickly.
Considering maintenance costs. Tires and scheduled factory maintenance has cost me $1300.00 for tires and 12,000 mile service this season alone. That's a hefty price tag to ride and it's still only June. I'll need 18,000 mile service and another set of tires before the summer is out at this rate.
There is no doubt the Tiger is a great ride, especially for touring, but my old Dyna Super Glide Sport got 10,000 miles out of a set of tires. No comparison on the speed and handling, and a different bike altogether, but much less expensive to ride and maintain.

·
Registered
170 Posts
:) My originals on my 07 Tiger had 7k on them when I replaced them for a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts...The Michelins would have gone to about 8k but I was leaving for a trip of over 1k and wanted to put on new tires....The Roadsmarts seem fine right out of the box handling rain and whatever else...I rotate riding my 4 bikes so I don't tend to use up tires that fast anymore...That was my goal as I related it a couple of years ago to Mrs. Lucky...The more bikes I have the cheaper they will be to operate as I will have less tire wear on any one bike and 12k mileage checkup costs...Good solid reasoning I figure ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're the lucky one having a choice of more than one bike! I only wish I could. I was ready to purchase a second bike but needed to replace the cager instead so the spousal unit could get to work to make money so I might, someday, buy another motorcycle, and a third, a fourth and so on.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
On my '07, I got 7K out of the original tires--front can go longer, but I couldn't buy the same tire--and didn't want to anyway.

I replaced the stock tires with the Michelin Pilot Road 2--the dual compound tire. They had much better traction than the stock tires and after 5000 miles, I could see very little wear signs. I traded the '07 for a new '08 ABS, and I will put the Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on it--maybe even before I wear out the stock tires.
At 3K on the stock tires, the rear tire has a pretty bad flat area in the center of the tire from a 2100 mile trip. The PR2's showed no sign of this type flattening after 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
9386km out of stock tyres (put on Pirelli Diablo Strada)
20110km and second set worn (put on Pirelli Diablo - old style strada not available)
27960km and 3rd worn (had about 1200 left but I was doing a weekend ride of about 15-1600km) so put on Shinko 003 Front (great) 005 Rear (not so great slips in the wet compared to the Pirelli).

We'll see how they last.
Russ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Managed 8300 on the oem Pilot Roads.
Both worn right to the bars. The front was badly cupped and vibrated quite a bit from 10-50 mph. Found about 62 was all I could handle.
Changed them to Pirelli Diablo Stradas. Love them. Smooth as glass, fall into corners nicely. Supposed to last a little longer than the Roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts