Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a rebuild on my mikuni carbs for my Thunderbird 95. There is a lot of info on this web site that I have sifted through and I don't want you to have to restate it all. But if you could give me an ideas of the parts I need to order I would be grateful I will order through Bike Bandit and am looking at this exploded view.

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m17558sch562753

I am thinking of getting 11, 12, 13, 14 and all of the O' ring seals.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
If you're replacing #13(emulsion tubes) then also replace #7 (slide needles) too, they both wear together.

The slide needles are made of alloy and tend to wear out very fast, there are stainless steel or titanium replacements available but are very expensive.

Check the slide guides too. They are the oblong plastic bits that the slide part #8/9 slides up and down in, they also wear out and cause problems.

Out of curiosity, what symptoms are you getting that make you want to rebuild the carbs? I get #1 cylinder plug running black & sooty, a very rich smelling exhaust, the smell of fuel when I stop the bike, and poor mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're replacing #13(emulsion tubes) then also replace #7 (slide needles) too, they both wear together.

The slide needles are made of alloy and tend to wear out very fast, there are stainless steel or titanium replacements available but are very expensive.

Check the slide guides too. They are the oblong plastic bits that the slide part #8/9 slides up and down in, they also wear out and cause problems.

Out of curiosity, what symptoms are you getting that make you want to rebuild the carbs? I get #1 cylinder plug running black & sooty, a very rich smelling exhaust, the smell of fuel when I stop the bike, and poor mileage.
I haven't checked my plugs recently but the symptoms are clear. Firstly I was getting coughing, sputtering and backfiring intermittently. I replaced the ignition coils and that seemed to fixed the problem but the symptoms returned. I have 35,000km on it so I thought they probably could use new ones. I then had the opportunity to purchase a cheap parts bike same year that had 13,000km on it. Once I got that I decided to swap the carbs out. Both sets are mikuni. When I got the lesser used carbs in the coughing, etc. cleared up. Been riding with nary a sneeze for 2000km. But I noticed the number one carb on the left is leaking gas when the bike is not running and when it is running the pickup from idle is rough as if too much gas is in the bowl. I thought perhaps it is an O ring but I am not familiar enough with them to say. So I have one set that need a major cleaning and one set on the bike that need new parts or float bowl adjusting. At any rate I think when I do the cleaning on the old set I will do a rebuild on them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would replace the slide guides also as they will have significant wear and will cause the emulsion tubes and needles to quickly wear again. Mine were worn out at 22,200 kilometers (13,200 miles) and needed a complete rebuild, some don't get as many miles before they need rebuilding...:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts