Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I went out into my garage last weekend to discover fuel leaking from air cleaner and the tube exiting from the fuel bowl. It was a significant amount of fuel. I am assuming that the float is stuck but wanted to get some opinions before I take the carb off and fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Khan

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
yup or float has a leak or bad float needle or ... anyways your on the right track .

after you fix the problem and before you try to start the bike drain the sump and remove the plugs . any accumulated gas should have drained to the sump , but giving it a kick with the plugs out will keep you on the safe side of hydraulic lock .

cheers , Woody

·
Registered
601 Posts
khansmith,

sounds like a float or a needle and seat problem. Could be
a small bit of junk keeping the needle and seat open or
just excessive wear in the needle and seat. Hope this
helps out.

However, it does bring up the question...

Do you turn off your gas valve when you leave your
bike? If not, why not would be the next question.

As for why, simple laws of gravity apply. In a car with
a carburator the fuel has to be pumped up to the
carburator to make it to the fuel bowl. But with a
motorcycle it is a gravity feed, when you leave the gas
valve on all the weight of the fuel is always pushing
against the needle and seat and float assy. If I remember
fuel is 8 pounds to the gallon. Even a small tank is
three gallons in size for a road bike or 24 pounds always on those
carburator parts.

Just a safety thing, always turn your gas valve off when you
walk away from your machine.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hello All:
I went out into my garage last weekend to discover fuel leaking from air cleaner and the tube exiting from the fuel bowl. It was a significant amount of fuel. I am assuming that the float is stuck but wanted to get some opinions before I take the carb off and fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Khan
Hi

This has just happened on my Tiger. The fuel started leaking out of the float bowl overflow pipe just after I turned the petrol tap on. Luckily I noticed it and turned the taps off.
This carb is brand new so there are no wear issues. I took off the float bowl and found a very small piece of ruber hose in the bottom. The floats were free and the cut off valve worked fine when operated by hand. I put the float bowl back on and the leak was cured, or so I thought.

A couple of days later a similar thing happened but the flow was not as bad. A couple of taps on the float bowl cured it this time.

One thought that did strike me was that the bike had been kept on the side stand and looking at the float arrangement there may be a possibility of the floats sticking on the side of the chamber if the bike is leant over for a while. Or the float height is slightly too high causing the fuel level to go over the overflow pipe when on the sidestand. I will be investigating this further by kepping the bike stored upright and seeing if it happens again.

If it does I will have to remove the carb and check the cut off valve to see if there is any other debris fouling it and the float height. I am assuming that the pin holding the floats assembly in place is just a push fit.

Will be interesting to see if you find anything alse amiss.

Cheers
Badger

·
Registered
601 Posts
394c,

That could be a high float level, you may want to check
that setting again.

I have the Mikunis on my ride and only have the sidestand,
I do not have the problem of fuel spillage.

Pookybear

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been turning off my fuel taps after each ride. My bike was sitting for a while as my house is undergoing a remodel and I got it out of the way. Looks like I need to pull the carb and take a look at the needle and float.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Khan

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had been turning off my fuel taps after each ride. My bike was sitting for a while as my house is undergoing a remodel and I got it out of the way. Looks like I need to pull the carb and take a look at the needle and float.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Khan
Hey Khan,

Well if you have been turning off the fuel taps when you are
done riding and you still got the puddle of fuel out of the air
cleaner. Not only do you want to look at your needle and
seat, float level check, but also take a good look at the the
fuel taps as well. It sounds like they are not shutting off the
fuel completely.

Pookybear

·
Super Moderator
13,257 Posts
WARNING: If your engine oil has been contaminated with gasoline, it can destroy your rod bearings, pistons, rings, crank journals, cylinders and other things in a big hurry.

FIX YOUR FUEL LEAK PROBLEMS, then change your oil (including opening the main crankcase sump plug and draining it). THEN continue riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts