Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me on a Daytona 1200 ('95), what the proper float height is, as well as the stock jet sizes?

Also, as far as air filter goes....where can you get a replacement filter (non- K&N) without buying the whole airbox assembly?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone tell me on a Daytona 1200 ('95), what the proper float height is, as well as the stock jet sizes?

Also, as far as air filter goes....where can you get a replacement filter (non- K&N) without buying the whole airbox assembly?

Thanks in advance.
1.5MM ABOVE JOINT FACE USING THE TOOL ADAPTOR 3880120. THIS IS ACCORDING THE TRIUMPH SERVICE MANUAL 9.24
FOR MORE ANSWERS JUST VISIT THE
OLD HINCKLEY FAQ. TRY http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/workshop/faq/index.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I have 120 mains on all 4 carbs...guess this is a little larger than stock, most likely because of the D&D exhaust.

Size 40 pilot jets on all four.

Can anyone tell me what the spark plug gap is supposed to be? I do not yet have my manual.

Was trying to figure out why I had rough idle and intermittent loss of a cylinder.

Cleaned all the carbs throoughly, and replaced all the o-rings. Diaphragms all looked good, no holes/tears. In case anyone wants the Suzuki part numbers for the various o-rings and float gaskets, let me know. I guess they're easier to get than going through Triumph.

All plugs except for #3 look good. #3 was on the rich side. However, also found a leak in the vacuum tube (leading to #3)...I thought this would have made it lean, not rich???

Thanks again for all your help so far. I know I'll be able to get this machine running 100% with your expertise.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

Worked like a charm. Only thing that bothers me now is a fluctuating idle.....will have to synch the carbs to see if it remedies that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Took the Daytona on a little trip up to West Virginia (Fayetteville) this past week. Bike did pretty good, 1800 miles in 7 days. Was a little concerned that the fuel mileage would be as bad as many others here on the forum are experiencing.....but was very happy with the 40-45 mpg I was getting.

At one point while up in WV, one of the float valves got some dirt stuck in it while about 70 miles from the hotel where my group was staying at....was leaking fuel pretty good through the airbox and occasionally fouling a cylinder or two. Had no option but to nurse it back to the hotel and luckily after about 40-50 miles or so, it cleared itself and ran great again.....even for the 540 mile trip home the next day.

Only two things still bother me.

1) Even after a carb synch before the trip, I still get a fluctuating idle when the engine is warmed up, roughly about a 150-200 rpm variance. Haven't figured that one out yet.

2) I keep hearing a ticking sound that doesn't seem to belong. I think it's most prevalent on the left side of the engine and probably worst around the 4k rpm range.

Can anyone clue me in as to what might be causing any of these two issues?

Oh yeah, one other thing. According to my buddy on the 1200 Bandit, whose speedo is calibrated dead on AND agrees with GPS speed reading, the Daytona's speedo is very "optimistic" to say the least. Almost 15 mph off at 80 mph.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts