Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the steering head bearing sorted out on my Trident, took it for a test today but it's running really rough. The idle speed increases to 3k once it's warmed up, and it hesitate and misfires when accelerating.

I've only done about 2000 miles on the bike since I bought it, and I've already had the carbs out twice. If they've got to come out for a third time I'm thinking that a total overhaul/rebuild might be on the cards - I don't want to fiddle about and then find they've got to come out yet again:(

Does anyone have any experience of this, and if so where/how much for an overhaul kit in the UK?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
The idle speed increases to 3k once it's warmed up, and it hesitate and misfires when accelerating.
Can't help with kits, but maybe a choke that isn't completely releasing or cable binding? Push it closed at the carb rack to check?

I had a float come loose once due to worn/flat o-rings that also caused a similar fueling problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, If you are after spare parts for carbs, I got parts from this company at a very reasonable price and they have stock for Triumph carbs. There new web site is rubish so you will need to contact them directly.

www.nrp-carbs.co.uk

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...maybe a choke that isn't completely releasing or cable binding? Push it closed at the carb rack to check?
Choke releases OK. When I had the carbs out last time I renewed the vacuum pipe, fuel lines and throttle cable, so I wondered whether the problem was introduced as a result of one of these changes. I looped the fuel line to carbs 2 and 3 round the back of the frame this time, so it's longer than it was, but I can't see why this should cause problems. Also, I took carb #1 off to fit a new T-piece to supply petrol, which involved the use of an ez-out to remove the screw. I don't know whether handling/rotating the carbs could have caused any damage.

Thanks for the tips on carb spares. Has anyone done this procedure? Famous last words, but it looks fairly straightforward in Haynes... how would I know whether I needed to replace jets/needles etc?

I want to get all the parts I'll need before I start to take the bike apart again, otherwise a day's work drags into a couple of weeks (again) and the bike's off the road, just as the weather brightens up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts