Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clicky

Everything i've ever heard about these has been good. Other than the fact that it's not an S3, yall know anything bad about em?

[ This message was edited by: Triple_Rider on 2007-02-14 09:56 ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sv650 is a great bike!
Good for beginners and will not be outgrown too quickly. Good after market support and Internet community also.
Bike is solid and when I had a friend that wanted to get his first street bike last year i steered him to a 03 model S and its been great. There are some SV650 riders out there that routinely spank the liter bikes in the twisties and the track.
Good choice :wink:

·
Registered
881 Posts
sv650 is a great bike. great bang for buck, great handling, good power, easy maintenance, reliable, parts are abundant, great rider community, etc, etc. put a solid exhaust on that thing and it sounds mean as h3ll! i sold mine and actually have been considering finding one to beat up. highly recommended.

not sure on the karma on that particular one. read reason for sale! ;)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Do NOT buy that bike for her.

You will end up riding it most of the time :-D

Killer bikes, sorta like a Ducati, but reliable, with a great sound to 'em once you replace the stock exhaust. The guys I went to track day with all had SVs and yep, they were smokin' riders on "better" bikes. One's an ex racer, and he was lapping people on an SV that another rider had dropped earlier - with no rear brake pedal. They handle that well.

Yes, I want one.

If she's into the standard/sport thing, you ain't gonna do much better (although if she's tiny and this is her very first bike, I'd say take a look at the 250 or 500 Ninja to start).

·
Registered
344 Posts
the poor man's duc :cool: it is awesome...

·
Registered
97 Posts
my wife can stand flat footed over my sazuk GS 500e. I've seen them for sale for around a grand. They still make them, parts are easy to come by. I plan on commuting with mine cause I work in the getto (don't want speedy to get jacked). I have two sets of case guards on the thing, so if my wife drops it...oh well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is a perfect opportunity to get the daytona 675 in the family. Use it and drive it whenever she's not! :hammer: :-D

·
Banned
798 Posts
What's he want for the cobra??

Oh, and are you dealing with the ex-wife or the ex-husband? Cause maybe you can get a special deal, if wifey doesn't know (care) about the sale price.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, not a bad word said. This'll be wifeys first bike, she's ridden other motorsports stuff, so I think she'll pick it up fairly easy. But she won't be riding till she goes through the MSF class.
She thought she was getting one for christmas and was pretty disappointed when she didn't. She must have forgot what I do for work

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Be a nice Valentine's present.

I still say you're probably gonna end up ridin' it a bunch too. :-D

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree with everyone else - the SV is a great bike, and a good first bike.
Just don't let her get too comfortable with that twin, or she'll want a Ducati next!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-02-14 11:57, BillT wrote:
I agree with everyone else - the SV is a great bike, and a good first bike.
Just don't let her get too comfortable with that twin, or she'll want a Ducati next!
She actually wanted a Ducati Monster 620 till she sat on one.

And R100, you're probably right, and if she ends up not liking it, I'll have a track bike to beat on. :-D

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
SV is a fantastic bike! My wife still says she wants a Buell Blast, because that's what she rode in the MSF course, and she was very comfortable on that bike. A big thing for my wife was feeling comfortable with her feet on the ground. When I tried to talk her into a SV she went to sit on one, and she was on her tip toes. :( She rode her CBR 600rr for about 1000 miles in mid 05, but she never did get comfortable on that bike. Plus, it was a huge financial mistake on my end, not including practicality for her 1st bike, but hey, I was thinking how much fun I had riding it. :-D I gotta steal on it, so I bought it for her, 5 months later, sold it and the R1 together and picked up speedy. :-D

One last thing, I'll admit it, I was a nervous wreck everytime she rode, so I try not to bring it up that much. I think she still wants one, but doesn't desire one, so maybe I can just talk her into letting me get a nice sport tourer one day(waaaaay in the future) for us to 2up on. :wink: :-D I'm telling ya, I don't think twice of riding wheelies at 100mph, but seeing my lovely wife coming up to an intersection at 35mph just kills me. :(

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same reservations there CB.... She wants one pretty bad, I think it'll be a every once in a while thing, which i'm not good with, you can't improve your abilities if you only ride a couple of times a month

·
Registered
881 Posts
On 2007-02-14 12:14, Triple_Rider wrote:
She actually wanted a Ducati Monster 620 till she sat on one.

And R100, you're probably right, and if she ends up not liking it, I'll have a track bike to beat on. :-D
don't let her get the 620 if she changes her mind again. less comfortable, more maintenance, more expensive maintenance, possibly more cost up front (sometimes can find um cheap), and most importantly....MUCH SLOWER. :)

[ This message was edited by: jdub3 on 2007-02-14 14:26 ]

·
Registered
242 Posts
sv is a good buy, my buddy rides one and loves it, especially for the money.

i was thinking of buying an s version and using it for the track only for fun

·
Registered
192 Posts
On 2007-02-14 10:39, DirtMcGirt wrote:
the poor man's duc :cool: it is awesome...
Shiiiiiit, "poor man" nuthin. Smart mans Duc, more like it.

My nephew has one and rides the h3ll out of it. H3ll, I ride it whenever I have a chance. Great bike, lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts