Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2004 955i with 26k on the clock.
Valve clearances were completed at 18000 miles by the previous owner.
I have an issue in low speed corners or in town.
The pick up can sometimes hesitate with a sort of misfire and the bike judders almost as if its in too high a gear. I'm wise to this now and keep it in a lower gear anyway but dropping down raises the revs and clears this.
It's an intermittent fault as sometimes the bike will pull like a train and sometimes does this.
Anyone have any pointers as to where to start?
I have thought about fuel filter, plugs etc. and even the battery as my Sprint had a misfire caused by a faulty battery.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My old 2003 S3 was similar, but also stalled when revved hard then let go, I read somewhere about a pointless o-ring on the TPS, so I removed this and the problem went. I also found that different tunes affected the bogging down problem, with mine if I opened it up too much in the wrong gear it didn’t like it, I ran one of the custom tunes and it smoothed it out loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought of the TPS to be honest, It does seem to bog down and the whole bike judders just like I'm in the wrong gear, will not pull cleanly so it may well be that.
I'll take a look and try the O ring fix firstly.
Cheers guys appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I hadn't thought of the TPS to be honest, It does seem to bog down and the whole bike judders just like I'm in the wrong gear, will not pull cleanly so it may well be that.
I'll take a look and try the O ring fix firstly.
Cheers guys appreciate it.
Don't want to mess up but generally, whenever there is a problem regarding the oring, you get a high idle because of the air leak.

I guess that if the tps potentiometer track is worn out you may measure it w/ an Ohmmeter or see it w/ TuneECU. You would see it better w/ an oscilloscope as it may produce signal noise.

Fred

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might be easier to try a different map/tune 1st, then if that don’t solve the issue then it’s tank off to get to the TPS, you can change the plugs and check other potential problems like the iscv hoses etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more I look at this and think about it I 'm thinking it is the TPS.
I plan to service the old girl soon so I'll take off the TPS at the same time and put a meter on it. I've read about a 12 minute reset and also using the kill switch affecting the ECU - I do tend to use that before switching off with the key so that fits. Not sure how valid these are as I'm hoping the 12 minute reset would be useful if I did replace the TPS.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you have access to TuneECU you can view the current TPS voltage, might be with doing before taking it off entirely?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The more I look at this and think about it I 'm thinking it is the TPS.
I plan to service the old girl soon so I'll take off the TPS at the same time and put a meter on it. I've read about a 12 minute reset and also using the kill switch affecting the ECU - I do tend to use that before switching off with the key so that fits. Not sure how valid these are as I'm hoping the 12 minute reset would be useful if I did replace the TPS.
-The 12mn tune is for Keihin ECUs.
-There is not much difference (none in fact) between using the kill switch and the key switch regarding the ECU powering on this engine.
-As above mentioned undoing the TPS screws is a PITA :(. You may use pliers or use an hex bit w/ a flat wrench or a ring spanner. You may alternatively build a special tool welding an hex bit on a piece of flat steel. You'll use it only twice (hopefully) though.

Fred

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just pop the throttle bodies off, took me longer trying to figure out how to access the the TPS security torx bits without removing the throttle bodies that undoing 3 hose clamps that secure them. Agree with above though to check voltage via tune ecu will tell you that without removing anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured the bumpf about the killswitch wasn't true. No reason why it would be. I am not familiar with tune/ECU and have no access to any electronic tuning kit. The only route for me is to check the TPS with a multimeter or take it to a shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All you need is a laptop/tablet, free software and the cable is cheap. Loads of info on it it the right section. Pays for itself really.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I can use my sons laptop but that is W10. I've looked up the tune ECU website and it can be used on a phone for diagnostics. Need to find out if my phone is compatible, Huawei P20 pro.
Thanks again for everyone input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Without tempting fate here...
I ran the 12 minute reset and took her out for a spin, no apparent problems but I'm planning on getting Tune ECU anyway as I'm sure I can't be that lucky!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts