Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a mid pipe (without cat) for a 2009 Sprint.

Maybe this is a question for Peter Sorrell at Trident Exhausts. Maybe he can offer with or without his Trident mufflers. I'm sure there is a market, maybe small but I think it is there.

Philip

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I wonder if you can get one from Triumph. Didn't they supply one with the TORS?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
In Aus you don't have to worry about it. We do not have a cat in the mid pipe even on the GT.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You could also gut your existing cat (catgut lol). It works according to the dyno and is even necessary on a full-breathing Sprint - given proper tuning of course. On a Sprint with just an exhaust, I wouldn't bother. Of course without a cat, you're only allowed to ride your Sprint off-road :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leery about removing the cat from the mid pipe because of the bulge that is left. Wouldn't that bulge disrupt the flow and slow down the needed velocity of the exhaust gases?

Jonny, tell me more. I'm not excited about the looks/quality of the mid pipe but will consider if all else fails.

To our brothers down under. What does your mid pipe look like? Does it have the cat bulge but no cat or just a straight pipe?

Philip

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm leery about removing the cat from the mid pipe because of the bulge that is left. Wouldn't that bulge disrupt the flow and slow down the needed velocity of the exhaust gases? (clip)...
Philip
Evidently not. I wondered the same but it was OK'd by a well known tuner (the best 1050 tuner I'm aware of). He's on the other triumph board and wrote that it flows very well gutted out. That is IF your bike is modified so that it can use extra flow.

Edit: It's no picnic knocking out the catalyst's substrate though :( It's not that fragile ceramic honeycomb but rather a metal mesh. Tough on drill bits too and enough of a distance from the pipe's inlet to make it very trying to deal with. Sort of like UNbuilding a ship in a bottle I would guess - a bottle that has a bend in its neck! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts