Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As some of you know, I took some time off in September to attend a special track day event at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course with a bunch of guys from Triumph675.net that was run by Sportbike Track Time.

There were about 13 of us from the forum that attended. There were three of us that rode in the Advanced group. Myself, on my Orange and Blue 675, Ken Root, a friend of mine from Illinois on his Red 675 with the dual Shark Exhaust, and Bill Williams, a friend from Georgia on his Red 675 equipped with a GoPro Video Camera. We had an absolute blast the entire two days. At the end of the event, Bill downloaded some of the footage he took with his GoPro onto a flash drive for me to bring home.

I recently purchased a new computer for work - A MacBook Pro - which as you all know, has some awesome and very user friendly video editing software called iMovie loaded on it.

So, with the footage that Bill provided me from Mid-Ohio, I selected a 9 minute segment that reflects one of the many fun sessions I had running with Ken and Bill. Of course, since I put the video together, it mostly features me in the lead...

One of my favorite parts of the video is at the 1:12 mark. Ken and I had already passed a couple of liter bike guys who had been in front of us. We made up some serious ground under braking at the end of the back straight. Just as Bill puts a stuff on one of them I'm using traffic to my advantage and stuff Ken just a little at the same time. We never saw the liter bike guys again since we put enough distance between ourselves and them in the tighter section of the track that they couldn't catch back up, even with their higher HP bikes. (I LOVE my 675's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgcy0A2flE

Hope you all enjoy!

Jeff
[/FONT]

·
Super Moderator
8,685 Posts
You sure made 'em work to catch up again after using the liter bikes as pylons! I sure would like to ride there one of these days. It looks like you guys had a complete blast.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definately the most fun I have ever had at a track day event. Having two other guys that ride that close to the times I ride on idential bikes made for a very fun couple of days. Every single session was like that!

Whenever someone in the "A" group got passed by a 675, they automatically knew that two more were coming right behind.

Next year I am planning to attend two events with those two guys. One at Barber and then back to Mid Ohio again. Hopefully my budget will allow that!

That session was near the end of day two and we were just out there goofing around, not really trying to run as fast as we could.

Hopefully we can meet up at an event one of these days, Will. I still have Miller on my list of "must ride" tracks...

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Of course, since I put the video together, it mostly features me in the lead...

Then you should fade out about 5 seconds earlier, lol.

Great video. I've been wanting to get mine out to the track, and after watching that I'm absolutely convinced it is a must for next year. Looks like too much fun.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were trading leads so we could all get video time, so I was slowing down to let them around. But, at the same time my left foot slipped off the peg in that turn, which is why I ended up running so wide...

If you go to the track, be prepared to get addicted to it! It is an absolute blast!

TripleThreat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like you guys had a blast. Its great feeling blowing a leader bike on our "little 675's".
Would love to get out with you guys next year. The STT dates were just the wrong time. But lets hope I can fit them in next year. Just bought another bike after wrecking mine at Roebling in August. So by the Spring it will be ready to go................ can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
8,685 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, you can blow past a liter bike on an SV650 if it is the right rider on the liter bike. Or wrong rider. Still, it's a whole lot easier on a 675 - they have real brakes and real suspension right out of the box!

Miller one of these days is on my list. I would love it if we could meet up there, Jeff. Thunder Hill is probably too far west, since it is a bit north of Sacramento, but it's a blast. Getting there in the blingin' hooptie' van pulling a trailer was a bit of an adventure, but it was worth it to put in two days. It features a blind 90 degree corner leading to a two story drop into an off camber turn. It really gets your attention! Mid-Ohio has a few good blind turns, too, if the video is an indication of what you see.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's another little clip from that event. In this one, I'm just following Bill around at a comfortable distance and a comfortable pace looking at my line selection. Never intended to pass or to be right on his rear wheel, just wanted to get an idea of how well I was hitting my marks since it was my first time on that track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfTdIOJE6Ow

TripleThreat

·
Super Moderator
8,685 Posts
It looks like you are hitting the apexes really well, Jeff. The camera must be offset to the left of his bike a bit. It looked like he was taking a much looser line.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His camera is mounted on the flat area of the battery tray... the bottom side of where the alarm would be installed, so the lens ends up about 6" left of center, I would guess.

It was nice to have this footage to be able to review where I could improve my line. Overall, I was pretty pleased with my lines, but I think I have a couple of ideas about how I can pick up a second or two next year with a little different line choice and a little later braking in a couple of spots.

There are a couple of areas in particular where Bill and I ran different lines, but the net difference in speed was pretty insignificant. I think I learned a few things from those different lines that, when combined, will be able to improve both of our lap times.

The most fun part of this track event was that Bill, Ken and I all were running very similar times, and after each session we would sit down and talk through things that we were picking up from each other and we were all learning a quicker way around the track.

I'm hoping that I make Barber and Mid-Ohio with them next season so we can do the same thing again. It was a real blast, and next season I will be able to add to the footage with my own GoPro Video Camera setup, so we should be able to get some good footage for Bill as well.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
8,685 Posts
A couple of friends and I went to Portland and had the same kind of experience. One friend passed me during the last session, and I haven't been able to pass him back yet, partly because I now ride an SV650 and he's still on his 675, partly (big part) because we haven't managed to get to a track day together since. We got out to a motard race, but my bike was misbehaving badly, and I don't know how to ride in the dirt anyway, so it doesn't have the same effect. Anyway, it sure is fun when there are two or three who are really evenly matched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts