Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a summary of my first track day experience at Mid America Motorplex near Omaha. I’ve been on dirt bikes all my life, and road bikes for about a year. I bought my Triple at the start of last summer, and I’ve put about 6k road miles on it. I’m not pretending to be a track expert -- my intention is to give a synopsis of my first track day. I hope to help first time Triple track riders gain some confidence, and allow more experienced riders to shoot holes in my ideas.

This track day was sponsored by Ducati Omaha. 50% of the field consisted of Ducati’s. They were by far the majority. They are fast, but I can’t stand the sound of them. The dry clutch sounds like they are about to rattle apart and fall to pieces. My Triple with the Trident exhaust sounded WAY more substantial than the Ducs.

First, there is no better way to appreciate the potential of a Triple than to get it on a track.

Second, there is no better way to hone your skills than to get yourself onto a track. No speed limits, no traffic, no obstacles. Just you and the limits of your abilities.

Note: unless I say “short shift”, it means I redline in the current gear before I upshift.

Here is a map of the track:

Here is a summary of my approach:
• I would hit just over 130 mph in 4th gear on the long straight. It’s about 2200 feet long, so you really wind out in 4th.
• Hard brake and quick downshift 2 gears into 2nd for turn 1. Power on through turn 1 and accelerate through turn 2.
• Hold revs in second through the first part of turn 3. This is a challenging turn with the decreasing radius. My line was just inside the center of the track for the first part of this turn.
• Lay it down hard to hit the apex of turn 3. Maintain speed. Turn on a little throttle exiting turn 3.
• Short shift into 3rd at the exit of turn 3 and pour on throttle, accelerating wide open through turn 4.
• Wound out in 3rd at the entrance to turn 5. Downshift into second and dive into 5. Stay wide, about the center of the track. Lay it down and apex 6. Just after the apex, pour on throttle and accelerate hard. Upshift into 3rd while exiting 6, only in 3rd about 2 – 3 seconds.
• Brake hard and downshift into 2nd. Take turn 7 slightly wide to prepare your approach to turn 8. Take 8 really hard and tight to the inside, wide open throttle. You sacrifice a little in turn 7 to ensure you can take #8 fast and exit #8 at the fastest possible speed.
• Wide open through turn 8, and wide open throttle into turn 9.
• Compression brake slightly into 9, get back on the throttle through turn 10, maintaining speed.
• Get wide outside for turn 11, then cut hard and go wide open throttle through turn 11. Stay wide open until you get to turn 12, will hit redline just before 12.
• Compression brake through 12, maintain speed with throttle through 13 and into 14.
• Get on the throttle slightly before 14, allowing the motor to dig you through the turn.
• As soon as you feel you are exiting 14, pour it on. Accelerate wide open through 15, and go from 2nd to 3rd to 4th along the straight. Duck and cover, and you can keep up with any bike on the track.

I was so impressed with the Triple I can’t put it into words. I didn’t buy my Triple as a track bike, so I had new Michelin Pilot Road 2CT’s on it. There was a Michelin rep at the track, and he told me 30 psi front and 30 psi rear was optimal. I ended up with 30 psi rear and 27 psi front, and it was absolutely perfect. My tires scrubbed all the way to the edges, both front and rear. The tiny Michelin Man and directional arrow are gone on both front and rear. I could definitely tell that the tires were cold on the first lap – the bike acted really squirrelly until I’d been through a couple turns in each direction. But after they got hot they were VERY solid. Awesome performance from a sport-touring tire. They never got greasy or slick, but they really warmed up and stuck. This is a pic of the rear tire. It has less than 1000 miles on it, but you can see how the track day wore it right to the edge.

And the Triple’s performance was exceptional. My buddy rides a 2006 GSX-R1000, and he couldn’t even get away from me in he straights. Since the Triumph pulls so well across the rev range, I was accelerating hard well before he was. Even though the main straight was 2200 feet long, nobody (not even the 1098 Ducatis) were able to take me on the straights.
I am now an even prouder Triumph owner. What an exceptional bike. It is so well rounded and rider friendly. Everybody at the track wanted to know why such a pretty bike was racing!

There was one other Triple at the track, and I video’d him for almost a full lap. If the dude sees this, I would really appreciate he send me a PM and let me know what’s up. I could send him a full quality video of the footage I put on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaoR1Q9f7q4

Here is our pit:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pic I posted is taken from the right rear side -- looking at the rear tire from the right side (as you sit on the bike).
Both front and rear tires were totally scrubbed right to the edges.

·
Registered
67 Posts
600 or liter? You can find alot of track ready 600 cbr's on eBay. But I think I would really miss the torque of the Triple.
600 I never took my gixxer K out for one. I'm excited to see what the triple has for the track I'm just worried about washing the back end out..... I'd like to get another cheap 600 for wheelies and track days so I can keep my triple as my clean cruiser/comuter, whatever I feel like bike.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same worries, Monstro. Smooth throttle, make sure your tires are warm and you have the pressure set properly, and you should have no worries. I got all the way over all day long and the bike was sticky sticky sticky.

·
Registered
587 Posts
scheduled for a track day on mine in late june after debating weather or not to get a track specific bike. I say **** it. I'll take the speedy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts