Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an “emergency” tire swap I got stuck with a rear 190 Michelin PILOT 1, oh boy, this thing lasted me 5 weeks and 4 days to get to this state guys with just normal usage:

What an absolute joke. I guess it is like 20 years old tech after all. But of course the bloodsucking mechanic charged me 180 coconuts like it was a “fresh off the oven” Michelin nevertheless… they do keep making them at least as this one says it was manufactured on the 40th week of 2020 🤷🏼‍♂️ I guess they like money too much to stop, go figure…
So, buyers beware and stay away from the PR 1’s at least, they’re literally made of wax.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
After an “emergency” tire swap I got stuck with a rear 190 Michelin PILOT 1, oh boy, this thing lasted me 5 weeks and 4 days to get to this state guys with just normal usage:
What an absolute joke. I guess it is like 20 years old tech after all. But of course the bloodsucking mechanic charged me 180 coconuts like it was a “fresh off the oven” Michelin nevertheless… they do keep making them at least as this one says it was manufactured on the 40th week of 2020 🤷🏼‍♂️ I guess they like money too much to stop, go figure…
So, buyers beware and stay away from the PR 1’s at least, they’re literally made of wax.
You do know it's a track day tire, right? Was that the only tire that they had in that size at a shop?
I got talked into Pilot Road 5's, and I'm actually really happy with them. I don't know how that would be at a track day, but I don't have one coming up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Err. Still? 5 weeks? No that’s not a scapegoat reason to charge premium moolah for it. Nope.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Err. Still? 5 weeks? No that’s not a scapegoat reason to charge premium moolah for it. Nope.
Doesn't it rather depend how far you went in those 5 weeks!
My last rear tyre only lasted 5 weeks, but there were 7,000 joyous km's along the way :cool:

Anyway, looking at your pics, there's plenty of life left on those! (especially on the edges ;))

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, when I said normal use I meant just used it for commuting to work and ocasional days off random errrands, mostly highway straight line, yes heavy handed throttle, but we were doing numbers with the mechanic at 50miles times 39 days = 1950miles run on the “tire” and this is exaggerated numbers on my part btw.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Try a Road 5... I find most rear tyres last about 5,000 km /3,000 miles. The Rosso III's that came stock with my S Twin lasted 4,000, but the Road 5's will do 7,000. Plenty grip (even with the160 fitted to the Twin)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Try a Road 5... I find most rear tyres last about 5,000 km /3,000 miles. The Rosso III's that came stock with my S Twin lasted 4,000, but the Road 5's will do 7,000. Plenty grip (even with the160 fitted to the Twin)
Same here, going back to the BT-56 SS on my SV-650, and I would always seem to push the fronts 1,000 miles past where they felt right so I could replace them as a pair with the 2nd rear. The Road 5's are the first tires I've had that last but still seem grippy, 4,000 miles on the set and I'm sure I'll get another 2 out of the rear, as long as they don't flatten the profile too much.
FWIW, as a track DAY tire, like the PR1, they usually measure the use in terms of heat cycles, not miles, so riders usually get a few days out of them. I'm pretty sure if I took the Pilot Sports off of my wife's Boxster and put them in place of the Nokian Hybrids on my Highlander, I would think they were terrible tires, but that would be on me. Application is everything.

·
Registered
Speed Triple 1050R 2013. Daytona 955i 06.
24 Posts
They're Pilot Power 2ct tyres, they are not track tyres. They are probably one of the best all round tyres i've ever used.
They are more than capable of doing a track day, tour and commute.
Great tyres....albeit dated.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I used PR4s. They are great tires. I got 8,000 miles out of them in the Wichita area. Even when I moved to Texas and rode 600 miles every single weekend on the Three Twisted Sister chip-seal roads in the hill country, I still got 5000 miles out of them. They are great, great road tires.

I hear the PR5s are better.

·
Registered
Speed Triple 1050R 2013. Daytona 955i 06.
24 Posts
Ive previously used PR5 tyres and they are great tyres. Well recommended!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I used PR4s. They are great tires. I got 8,000 miles out of them in the Wichita area. Even when I moved to Texas and rode 600 miles every single weekend on the Three Twisted Sister chip-seal roads in the hill country, I still got 5000 miles out of them. They are great, great road tires.

I hear the PR5s are better.
I used to swear by PR4's - until the PR5's came along! They are every bit as good grip and handling-wise, but I'm getting about 20% more mileage out of the rear (the front is about the same is the 4's)

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
273 Posts
PR4s are very good, but I found the front squirmed too much when pushed hard (too much tread) they really moved around on my Hayabusa - PR5s cured that by removing the pointless tread near the edge of the front tyre (you won't be cranked that far in the wet!) I do prefer the Avon Spirit STs as they are a bit sharper turning - but the PR5s are excellent and so are the PR4s if you're not a peg-scraping maniac - all are awesome in the wet. The pictures above look like power 2CTs - I used those on my Hayabusa a couple of times - including on the track - they were pretty good in their day in all conditions - not up there with a modern sports touring tyres but still pretty good - grippy enough to melt my fairing lowers at Snetterton.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's not a Pilot Road 1, that's a Pilot Power 1. Old technology, single compound; Power 2 IIRC was the same compound on the sides but a harder compound in the middle. Nowadays that's Michelin's budget "performance" tire, and possibly even made in China?

That being said, I love Road 5s. Can't wait for the stupid OEM spec Rosso III on my Speed Twin to wear out to fit Road 5s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts