Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these new tires from Michelin. I hear good reviews about wet traction and tread longevity, but how do they do in the dry? Are they as competent as the original Bridgestones on the Sprint ST 1050?

Need new tires soon. These are a top consideration. Wore the Bridgestones out in 3800 miles.

Any input on the Michelin Pilot Roads 2ct would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
I have a 2CT on the front and a Pilot Power on the rear. I find it a great combination. 5,000 kilometres on them so far. Confidence inspiring.

I like them.

FWIW Bits of wood soaked in oil would be better than the standard Bridgestones tyres IMO. But that is just my opinion :)

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

I have recommended them to several friends here and they are all very happy with them they have very good dry grip but have the best wet grip out of all the sports touring tyres currently on the market.

So says an independent French tyre testing outfit.

My friends are on; Suzuki GSX 1400, FJR 1300, Yamaha Fazer 600, Early Yamaha 1000 model before the R1.

The stock Bridgestones are not the best suited to most Sprint riders.

Read this:

http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/tyres/superbike_news_of_new_Michelin_Pilot_road_2_sport_touring_tyre_news_110991.html

And also you should have a look at the tyre sticky in the maintenance and tips sub forum at the top, a few months ago I gave this tyre stickie a severe haircut to make it more useful.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Buschg

I'm on my second set of Pilot road 2ct's and highly recomend them, great in the dry, gives lots of cofidence in the wet. Got 12,000klms out of them, I reckon I still had about another 1000lkm on the rear and maybe 2000 to 3000 klm on the front when I changed them. Heading off on a big ride so changed them early.

First changed from the stock Bridgestones to Pilot Roads (that made an incredible difference to the bike and the way it handled) then moved to the Pilot Road 2ct (another improvement especially in the dry)

Good choice for spirited riding with good life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that the Dunlop Sportmaxx Roadsmarts are worth consideration. I JUST replaced my stock slipstones with the roadsmarts and am extremely happy so far. I have only had them on for 70 miles or so, but they feel so much better to me. I thought the sprint handled good with the stock tires, these just inspire me to lean. :D

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
bigbirt,

the Roadsmarts have all round good reviews in bike mags, but according to the link in my post by Superbike mag in the UK, independent testers rated the PR 2CT as best in the wet out of the Sports tourer tyres tested, as proven by an independant French testing company.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set. I love them, great stick and handling in the dry. Mileage is OK for the type of tire they are and they work pretty good in the wet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just got a set of Pilot Road 2's put on today. My last 2 sets of tires have been Pirelli Diablo Stradas, which have been awesome - they're also a bit cheaper than the Pilot Road 2s. I was getting about 6000 miles out of each set. Switched to the Michelins because a lot of my friends run them and absolutely love them, so I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Here's another vote for thumbs down on the OE bridgestone BT020 touring tires - I think I got maybe 2500 miles out of those things before they started to square off very badly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pilot Road 2's

I had gone through 5 sets of Bridgstones, and I read Dave's comment on the Pilot Roads. I bought a set, and had the best summer since I have owned my Sprint. Went down to Hiawassie, Georgia and went up to Mid-Ohio, plus ran my local route up Hiway 181 north of Morganton, NC.

I can tell you that these treads made all the difference in the world. No more stepping out at 75 MPH in the sweepers like the BT-020's did. Henceforth I no longer have to take a long potty break at the top of the mountain to clean myself up!!

I also do a lot of two up riding, so getting a little extra miles is good!! They really shine on the tar snakes, and that line where the road crews build up the edges of the road into existing pavement always made me Sprint wiggle at high speed. Not any more!!

oldsprint03
03 955 Caspian Blue

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I've got about 3000 miles on PR2's and am very impressed with their quick turn-in and stable handling ,
dry or wet. They seem well suited to the Sprint and are a major improvement vs the OEM Bridgestones
which overstayed their welcome at 3700 miles.

A friend runs Dunlop Roadsmarts on his FJR and likes them for the same reasons. I plan to try
a PP2CT front and PR2 rear next time just for comparison.

Thanks DaveM for your research.

Tom

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hello

I say the Michelins are great tires. I have had 2 sets of these pilot powers and other than mileage be ok...id say they stick like glue. I am on Avon Storms now...want to see if the mileage is better on these. I can say that the front tire on the Michelin seem to get cupped quite quickly (within 2000k miles).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pilot Roads

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these new tires from Michelin. I hear good reviews about wet traction and tread longevity, but how do they do in the dry? Are they as competent as the original Bridgestones on the Sprint ST 1050?

Need new tires soon. These are a top consideration. Wore the Bridgestones out in 3800 miles.

I run the Pilot Road 2 on my Sprint, Honda CBR600rr, and my Kawasaki 600 and love the tires. For my 600's I will run a stickier tire next time but for my Sprint I will continue to run the Pilot Roads. I am finally replacing my rear after 7500 miles and they still do not have a flat spot. I commute with my Sprint every day and need a tire that will give me the mileage and still give me the performance when I do push the bike in the corners for a more spirited ride. I have run the 020 and 021 Stones and do not like them, lost the rear end once too many times with them on the Sprint.

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Hello

I say the Michelins are great tires. I have had 2 sets of these pilot powers and other than mileage be ok...id say they stick like glue. I am on Avon Storms now...want to see if the mileage is better on these. I can say that the front tire on the Michelin seem to get cupped quite quickly (within 2000k miles).
rictser you have mentioned this before.

Three things;

1) I have used over 12 sets of Pilot Powers and am now using the 2CT version and still get the same mileage, for me that is 4,500kms but I am very hard on tyres especially fronts and I have never experienced bad cupping at least not that affects handling or steering.

2) The Pilot Road 2CT which is what the thread was about is a different tread pattern and also a different (read harder) compound to the PP which is a Sports tyre not a sports touring tyre.

3) I have also used several sets of Avon Azaro's the predecessor to the Storm, it is also a sports touring tyre and I averaged 6,000kms a set.

All of the above is contained in my reviews in the tyre sticky, in the MT &T sub forum.

Bare in mind I get very low kms from all my tyres, my riding is all mountain twisties often two up.

cheers,

·
Registered
329 Posts
tire test comparisons

RE: the UK SUperbike mag's test of sport tires and the Pilot Road 2 coming out on top in the wet and dry. Unfortunately the Avon Storm was not part of the test, a lot of riders in the Pacific NW prefer the Storm as a wet riding tire. Do note that the above test mentioned was sponsored and paid for by Michelin, i can't help but wonder if the omission of the Avon was deliberate as it is known as an excellent wet weather tire?
Also note that a later test of the Dunlop Roadsmart (Oct, 2007) by independent journalists covered by the same Superbike mag had most riders preferring the Roadsmart over the Pilot Road 2 (also tested as part of a direct head to head comparison as part of the Dunlop rollout at i believe a Dunlop facility). The Roadsmart was indicated to have better 'feel' in the wet.
me..never ridden either the Pilot Road or Roadsmart, it would be interesting to see a head to head comparison of the Pilot Road to the Avon Storm in the wet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the Death wings on my old KLV which were fine from new up to about 3000 miles, at that point I'd have agreed with the oil soaked wood quip. Replaced them for pilot road tyres which were excellent in wet and dry alike. Good grip and tyre life, these tyres are goodto he end with no mistake. When my Speedie needs new tyres I'll be giving serious thought to a set for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Michelin Power Road 2 ct

Hi Everyone,

I put on the new 2ct's a couple of days ago. They are great. Already have them scuffed in to the edge of the sidewalls. Stock Birdgestones only lasted 3700 miles. These new michelins feel great low noise, heat up quickly. I will update when I have more miles.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Can't speak for the Roads, but I can say that the Powers are stickier than you could ever need, once warmed up. As long as you are careful with the throttle, you can lay the bike over until everything drags, and the tires will stick so well that they will be the least of your concerns.

This is what sticky looks like. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts