Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current mileage: 12,200
Will Probably put another 500 - 1000 before changing for my 8-10k Sturgis / Western Loop trip in August.

Rear is flattening out as I would expect, front is scalloped but tread depth looks excellent still.

Rear / Front

Attachments

Reactions: Barramullafella

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I think I'll give them a shot next change. I had them on my America and seemed fine.
I now have over 10K on my back Dunlop AE, but the AE didn't come in radial for the front, so settled for a Dunlop D208. It is pretty bad after just 7K miles and was noisy from the start.

I'll go with the Commander II this time (before end of summer)

Looks like I'll be riding the T-Bird more often now. Just sold the Legend. (4k miles on that since January)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the Commander 2 and have used them a few times now on other cruisers but first time on the Storm. Do you think the scalloping could be due to tyre pressure? I wonder if altering it either way would help.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite possibly, but, my front brakes have "pulsed" hard for 2 sets of tires now, Metz & Mich, and, I'm leaning more toward that. I think it may be due to the EBC sintered metal pads coupled with the non-sintered dust clogging the floating rotors, or, that the rotors are not quite seated properly due to the powdercoated wheel. Trying to think of "what's new since just before the problem started". All are possibilities. They told me to rubber mallet the discs to dislodge dust in the float pins / rivets (not sure what you call them) but that has not alleviated. Brakes pulse like ABS is engaged or rotor is warped and catching / not catching as it rotates.

If dealer does not find issue with the brake pulsing, I'll just live with it. Hasn't kept me from going 30k in just over 2 years now...

Reactions: Barramullafella

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
[quote ....... Hasn't kept me from going 30k in just over 2 years now...[/quote]

Fred, if you're not careful, you're gonna catch up with Dave on those miles!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well with the cracked tank I missed out on Laconia miles. Sturgis / Rockies will be about 10k over 3+ weeks.

Since the bike's in the shop I told him to go ahead and replace the tires & oil change now vs in a month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts