Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been riding on Anakees for a few weeks now and here are my impressions so far:

• They're heavier and I can feel it especially in the front wheel.
  • They've reduced the flickablity of the bike.
  • They're stiffer. Big bumps travel to my butt a bit harder.
  • They are the best for twisties (see flickability), and when accelerating out of turns, I feel a thudding sensation. I suspect it has something to do with the edges of the big, chunks of treads on the rear wheel.

So, why did I get them? I hoping they'll last "there and back" on my coast to coast trip and do well in the rain.

I'll give an update after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You expect only 3000 miles, or 6000 miles from them?

My Avon Distanzias, similar to the Anakees, last 10-11K miles. I took a trip last summer of 7300 miles on my heavier R1200GS.

The Anakees are very popular for more off road with the GS crowd, but the stiff sidewall makes them not as smooth on the road. They usually get good miles though.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My trip is going to be about 8,000 miles, and I'm not wanting to change tires while on the road.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Avon Distanzias,

Jim
How do the Avon Distanzias compare to the trailwings, my TW's have worn unevenly on the front so need replacing, so I'll do both.

Cheers
Clive

·
Registered
10 Posts
Want to chime in only because I've put 66,000 miles on 5 sets of Anakees during the last 5 years (roughly 13,000 miles per set) - and never once did I feel like I was pushing the envelope on their lifespan before I changed 'em out.

I've always felt that the best word to describe Anakees is "utilitarian", nothing fancy on the road but they get the job done, plus stick better than most in the wet. Which is good here in the Pac NW.

I'll be throwing 'em on my new T100 fairly soon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jim
How do the Avon Distanzias compare to the trailwings, my TW's have worn unevenly on the front so need replacing, so I'll do both.

Cheers
Clive

The Distanzias have far superior road maners and wear, but tend to be somewhat lacking in off orad ability.

I have about 70K miles on Distandias on my GS's.

Jim :brow

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Distanzias have far superior road maners and wear, but tend to be somewhat lacking in off orad ability.

I have about 70K miles on Distandias on my GS's.

Jim :brow

Hey Jim - Do you run the Distanzias on your Scrambler? Just curious.
I may give 'em a go on my T100. I obviously won't be on gravel near as much as when on my thumper - so I don't necessarily have to go Anakees, though I will be doing just as much ridin' in the wet.

I've never run Distancias before. And I'm itchin' to get the stock Metzlers off (probably due to nothing more than too much time on GS's in my past :eek: ).

Would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey Jim - Do you run the Distanzias on your Scrambler? Just curious.
I may give 'em a go on my T100. I obviously won't be on gravel near as much as when on my thumper - so I don't necessarily have to go Anakees, though I will be doing just as much ridin' in the wet.

I've never run Distancias before. And I'm itchin' to get the stock Metzlers off (probably due to nothing more than too much time on GS's in my past :eek: ).

Would appreciate any input.
I have not on the Scrambler yet, but I have a set on order so I can swap them out when the old tires are dead. I know several here have, and they like them a lot. Same with a few other groups like the Nighthawk guys.

Jim :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts