Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going for a ride this weekend but my Corsa Rossos were looking a bit worse for wear. My usual tire guy didn't have another set of the pirellis in stock but started telling me about the new Z8 that Metzler released at some show thing he was at in LA last week. He said they did some testing and watched some demos of guys doing stoppies on the rain pad. I figured you never know till you try, so let's stick some on. I was the first kid on the block to get them so I didn't have any advance input other than what the shop guys told me.
Holy cow these tires are awesome! I loved my Pirellis but these Z8s are the bomb. Dealer says they should get over 8000k, I'll believe that when I see it. I don't see how something can stick like this and not wear like an art eraser. Within minutes the rear was chicken strip free, confidence inspiring is an understatement. We'll see how they hold up, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good review. You got me interested in going back to Metzler. I got 8k miles from the OEM M3's but went to Dunlop Q2's for price. It wasn't a such a bargain when I couldn't get more than 3,000 miles per set.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good article, appparently the Z8 is quite an update from the Z6, at least that's what is posted on Metzlers site. I was leary to try these because I was not at all impressed with the M3s the bike came with. I totally agree with others, it would be really nice to last a season on one set of tires. Normally I blow through two completely and end the season on the third. I'm skeptical that these Z8s will make a season, but if they save me one set a year and I don't sacrifice handling, I'm sold.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update; The ride quality is much improved as well, small bumps and imperfections in the Pavement much less harsh. Ride seems quieter as well. Love these tires.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well another quick update for anyone interested; I have a few thousand k on these puppies now, still love them, they look like new. This past weekend I went on a 1500 k road trip and got caught in the pouring rain, absolutely outstanding wet traction. I know I sound like a Metzler salesman, but if you would have asked me about the ones that came on the bike, my opinion would have been the exact opposite. I don't understand how these tires work, they feel hard to the touch, they don't shred up on the edges like softer tires I've owned even after really hard riding in constant corners, yet they stick like glue. I don't get it, but I'm sold.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just put a set on my bike (previously on Diablo Rossos) and all I can say is that they are truly AWESOME! Super sticky, excellent feel. Haven't had a chance to try them in the wet but DAMN, I can't remember being this impressed by a tire. And it's a sport touring tire...!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MC this month has an article on Metzler, they sum it up with something like; "if these (Z8) tires get the mileage they claim, they may be the tire of the year". Glad to hear you like them too Triplgrl, they are definitely amazing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
MC this month has an article on Metzler, they sum it up with something like; "if these (Z8) tires get the mileage they claim, they may be the tire of the year". Glad to hear you like them too Triplgrl, they are definitely amazing.
Welcome to the Metzler side :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good stuff Torcher, I'm going through the same scenario with tires as you. It sounds like the Z8's are holding up for you very well so far. You and Triplgrl have me convinced to give the Z8's a go. Thanks for the update.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey RollyNW Lots of great riding in your neck of the woods, or close to it. Last weekend I did the loop from Sumas to Winthrop, Leavenworth and back home to Chilliwack. Sweet roads in Washington, the Cascades hwy rocks!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Anybody run the M5's? What kind of life are you getting out of them if so?
Yes,put them on a couple of hundred km's ago,sorry can't give you a longevity answer with only this amount of km travelled but they are supposed to be longer lasting than the M3s,first thing i noticed was they feel easier to tip into corners and stickier than the M3s.
Hopefully someone out there with more km on theirs can give you an answer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey RollyNW Lots of great riding in your neck of the woods, or close to it. Last weekend I did the loop from Sumas to Winthrop, Leavenworth and back home to Chilliwack. Sweet roads in Washington, the Cascades hwy rocks!!
That's quite the loop, Torcher. And that's exactly why I'm looking for a higher mileage tire without giving up too much performance in the twisty bits. The Z8's seem like they were made for the kind of riding we do up here in the PNW. It just breaks my heart to wear out the center of my tires before the edges!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya, I ride my tires to the bitter edge as I am sure you do too. It still requires a lot of straight road to get to the twisties on many rides. As you have stated, before you know it the center of the tire is bald. I'm really hopeful these will be different, so far so good. Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anybody run the M5's? What kind of life are you getting out of them if so?
I've been on these M5's for about 2200 miles. Love the feel, warms up fast, but there is already a flat spot running down the center. Unfortunately, I do more highway than anything else. Not bad, hoping for atleast 6-8K miles out of them. Still good tread depth in the center, that's why I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am glad to here such great reviews on these Z8's. I had a pair of Z6's (on a BMW R1150R) and I loved them. They had 6k on them before I sold the bike and still looked like they were new. I had a friend running and got 18k (BMW K1200RS) on them. If those Z8's run anywhere near that I will one happy rider.:Dance02

I am going to stick a pair on my FZ1 later this year and depending on how long the M3's last on my S3 will make my decision for me on that bike.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.