Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Metzler Roadtec Z6 - Sportec M3 question

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveM 
#1 ·
Hi, need your advice folks...

I'm currently running on Roadtec Z6 and am very happy with this tyre.

However I changed jobs => more stress => less time => company car => less kilometers...

So I was wondering to go for something softer, the new Sportec M3 for example.

My current rear Z6 is getting pretty used but my front still has a good chunk of kilometers in it.
Do you think I could couple a rear Sportec M3 with a Roadtec Z6 front? Or rather go for another rear Z6?

Metzler comparison chart, click on Street Products:
Metzler clicky

#2 ·
These tires are entirely different animals.

I've learned never to pair a sticky rear with a less sticky front, although the opposite is not usually a problem. Also their profiles should be different with the M3 less round in shape.

I wouldn't do that, but then I often have to ride on very slippery Greek surfaces.

#3 ·
On 2007-01-11 04:08, NikosR wrote:
These tires are entirely different animals.

I've learned never to pair a sticky rear with a less sticky front, although the opposite is not usually a problem. Also their profiles should be different with the M3 less round in shape.

I wouldn't do that, but then I often have to ride on very slippery Greek surfaces.
NikosR, thanks. Now that you mention it, it doesn't sound like a good idea...

Roads in Belgium are not the best around either...

/off topic sad but true * those who have driven in the German Eifel will understand/
Q: When riding those nice roads in the Eifel - Ardenne, how do you know if you crossed the German - Belgian border (driving into Belgium)?
A: When it starts to feel like you riding off-road (bumps, potholes etc)
////

#4 ·
You want the stickiest tyres that will give the distances you want. For me that's a sport touring tyre. For DaveM that's full sports tyre.

As for mixing tyres, I agree with Nikos completely. You can (and quite often should) put a stickier front on so when you're pushing hard you're less likely to lose the front. The worst this does is give equal mileage from front and rear and increases your confidence. At best, it means you won't lose the front end - which is a hell of a lot harder to bring back or control than a rear end slide ;-)

Russ

#5 ·
SpiderTex,
I would agree with the other guys, in fact I do not like mixing tyres at all myself.

The tyres you refer to most likely not only have vastly different compounds but the tread patterns I believe should be made to match, in other words stick to a set.

Handling problems can ensue when you start mixing thigs up, though you will always find someone who says I used this with that and it was ok.

But that is my opinion and others may disagree.

If you want a sportier tyre how about a Michelin Pilot Power?
They steer very fast last a reasonable while (not too soft) and stick real good handle nicely but are a bit twicthy in the front.

just a suggestion.

DaveM :cool:

#6 ·
On 2007-01-11 06:13, DaveM wrote:
SpiderTex,
I would agree with the other guys, in fact I do not like mixing tyres at all myself.

The tyres you refer to most likely not only have vastly different compounds but the tread patterns I believe should be made to match, in other words stick to a set.

Handling problems can ensue when you start mixing things up, though you will always find someone who says I used this with that and it was ok.

But that is my opinion and others may disagree.

If you want a sportier tyre how about a Michelin Pilot Power?
They steer very fast last a reasonable while (not too soft) and stick real good handle nicely but are a bit twicthy in the front.

just a suggestion.

DaveM :cool:
Hi Dave,
long time no see... errr read...
how is the crock? Still around or sliced onto sandwiches?

I was contemplating the Michelin Pilot Power as a confirmed good alternative, the Metzler Sportec M3 is pretty new, so need to do get some benchmark results.

I will stick [ahem] with the Z6 and use up the front and rear. Then switch to something softer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.