Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with Metzler ME880 tires. I'm looking for a high mileage tire, 10,000 miles give or take. Best I got out of Bridgestone Bt020 or Dunlop D220 was about 6000 miles.

Thanks

Dave

1995 Trotona
2000 Legend (wifes)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Dave,

If you have the time...Go back and check the Tyre threads.
It will save you time and maybe a little money.

Most of us go with Avon Azaros for touring. It is an all-conditions tyre...within reason.

Cheers,

Tom.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Hi Dave,

Tom's right, there are a ton of threads on here about tires. many of us swear by one brand or another. I am with you on the Battleaxes though. I have never gotten more than 5000 miles out of a rear tire.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't think Metzeler makes an 880 big enough. The biggest that I see in their guide is a 160/70/17. If you want Metzeler, try the Z-6. It should give you 8,000 miles if you treat it nice. I got 8,000 out of 2 with my 900 and I treated them poorly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I like the Michellin pilot roads better than the avons or bridgestones. They have a smoother ride. I have 5 or 6k on them and the front tire hasn't started cupping and the rear is showing some wear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trotona,
You have to ride her like a grandmother, that is the only way to get 10K out of tires on a trophy......you have a 1200 cc bike.....to heck with the tires...ride hard, ride fast, be safe....everyone has their favorite. You may read this any say "what ever" but it is really the truth......read all of the threads, there is no answer.....I do not think that the Trophy is an economical bike to run.......it is what it is.....All the 900 cc guys will disagree but it is not the same bike, period......the gas mileage sucks, it eats tires, but it is a great strong ride that will go all day......enjoy this bike, it is a classic , you own a Legend so you know the deal.........

·
Registered
163 Posts
I forgot one major point about my point of view......I am 6'3" and 245 lbs.....obviously some one 155lbs is good for another 1500 miles....some one out there probably has an equation for that.....just ride the bike.........be safe...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tooth hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the riders weight effects tyre life. It also effects how you set your suspension and ultimately the way the bike feels to the rider as will ensuring the correct tyre pressures are maintained.

Accordingly, there is no definitive right or wrong as what choice of setup which is great for one rider may feel inferior to the next person. It is sadly a case of trial and error albeit an expensive one. By all means canvas oppinion on tyre choice, but do not assume it works for all.

For what it is worth stick to good rubber and ensure you scrub in your tyres properley, keep them inflated to the right pressure, check them regulary and use all of its foot print on the road (i.e do not be afraid to lean your bike over as it will hold on long before your nerve folds).

Tyre manufacturers are always looking for real life feedback and will often offer you discount vouchers for your through life contribution as long as it is constructive, so it is worth contacting tour favourite rubbe rmanufacturer and getting a raport going with one of their reps to see if they are interested in your views.

Above all keep a good check on your tyres, suspension and steering and not only will your maintenance costs be lower but you will be safer too.

GG

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey,everyone I`m new here but I just bought a 02 Trophy that has a 880 on the rear.It wont be there long as on the ride home it was squimy and shaky. A new set of Avons are on the way!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just done over 11000 on a pair of avon azaro's. This includes 1 trip to monte carlo in 05 and a trip to the Pyranee's and Gerona Spain in 06 3000+ miles each trip. Anyone tried the new avon storm as I don't think I can squeeze this years trip out of them.Changed the azaro's for the new storm's went down through france through thunder and rain without any problem only one slip on a white line on the M11/M25 junction on the journey home on the last day again in heavy rain. 1800mile fully loaded hardly a mark on them.

[ This message was edited by: tellis247 on 2007-06-25 16:10 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts