Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI, I bought Pirelli Sport Demons for the Thrux, and the Indy shop I use had trouble finding Michelin tubes, which I usually use. He said he could get Metzelers, which I agreed to, as the Krauts are pretty good at quality control.
They arrived, $22 per tube. On the box, in the tiniest possible print; "Made in China under authorization and exclusively on behalf of Metzeler by Kings Tire, Tianjin Kings Glory Tire Co."
Looks like I paid a premium price for Chinese tubes. :(
Scheiss!
Redhawk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just an FYI, I bought Pirelli Sport Demons for the Thrux, and the Indy shop I use had trouble finding Michelin tubes, which I usually use. He said he could get Metzelers, which I agreed to, as the Krauts are pretty good at quality control.
They arrived, $22 per tube. On the box, in the tiniest possible print; "Made in China under authorization and exclusively on behalf of Metzeler by Kings Tire, Tianjin Kings Glory Tire Co."
Looks like I paid a premium price for Chinese tubes. :(
Scheiss!
Redhawk
well, that might explain the billion and a half people in China....all the rubber stocks are going into your tubes!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, in future, it sure as Hell ain't gonna be Metzelers! As I said above, IMHO, Michelins are the gold standard, and I've run them inside Dunlops and Avons, with, knock wood, never a puncture.
Redhawk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you change out the tube at every tire change?
How many years should the tube stay in the tire before replacing?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Do you change out the tube at every tire change?
How many years should the tube stay in the tire before replacing?
That depends on whom you ask.

Some people think it's a good idea--and cheap enough--to always put new tubes in. Others, including one of central Maryland's best British motorcycle mechanics--from whom I bought my new tires--think it's a waste to not use the old tubes if they're in good condition and not too old. I told him to put in new brand-name tubes anyway, and to give me the old ones as spares.

Given the price of new tires and the aggravation and/or expense of installing them, I feel that new brand-name tubes are well worth the small additional cost. On the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem with re-using the old ones either, at least once.

·
Registered
107 Posts
geez, this is really discouraging. motorcycles made in thailand, tubes made in china and half of our freakin clothes are now made in vietnam. (that ought to help you sleep at night redhawk.) what's next, toy guns from afghanistan!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts