Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra front tire on their Touring? I am wondering if the ME888 be a better choice than the ME880 Marathon?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Has anyone used the Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra front tire on their Touring? I am wondering if the ME888 be a better choice than the ME880 Marathon?
I wanted to try the 888 on a Rocket but they didn’t offer them. My recollection is that they are an improvement - still sticky but last longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well time will tell. Had the Metz ME 888 Ultra fitted to the front on Friday. Lets see what happens. This is my 3rd front tyre in 18000k/12000miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just put on 888’s on my R3T 15,000 miles. 3rd set of tires. Will keep you posted on handling and wear after the snow melts.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Metzler says that the 888 is an updated replacement for the old 880 which is probably going to be phased out. Check out their website for more information. This is going to be my next set of tires.

·
Administrator
19,456 Posts
I have ordered a set of Avon Cobra Chromes for my Rocket. The front tire (ME880) on my Rocket went from having a few Ks left to what you see in the photo below during an 800 mile trip away from home. This was the second front tire on my Rocket (currently about 16,500 miles) and lasted about 2K miles less than the first one did. There are several possible reasons for this, but I rode home for six hours on a front tire that was gradually becoming scarier looking at every stop. The attached photo was when I got home, but those spots were already starting earlier that day on the ride home. It was a Sunday, so options were slim.

This was a painful lesson for me and I am now committed to earlier tire changes. Rocket ownership has a much higher cost than more common motorcycles like my Speed Triple.

That front tire is actually the first time a Metzler has done something odd to me, but it was enough for me to want to try something different. So, when I have the Chromes installed I will provide some feedback to the forum.

BTW, I also wasn't able to find the ME888's in the proper size. Are they still new?

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am impressed Sean, I like to see my tyres worn out before I change. My last rear had the canvas showing all the way around after a long ride home.
I have stopped running Avon tyres, had 3 failures with them on the R3 and the wife's Storm, bubbles in the tread. I now fit the Bridgestone Excedra's and the new H50. Not quite the same mileage but a lot cheaper and better holding on corners

cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sean,

Thank god you made it home! It is amazing how fast they can wear in the last bit of their life. I had the same thing happen on my T-bird riding on a memorial day trip. I had tread, then I didn't. Metzler's , turned out tech had tire poorly aligned. Next tire was commander and I damn sure got it right.

ride safe

Dan

·
Administrator
19,456 Posts
For those interested, I picked up my Rocket today with the new Avon Cobra Chromes (front and rear). This is my first time with something other than the standard Metzelers. I was only supposed to ride it the thirteen miles home from the shop since I am still recovering from the injuries from my Speed Triple accident last month. But once I got on the bike at the shop I knew I wanted a good ride so off I went.

I put about 100 miles on the new Avons. Grip felt the same, cornering confidence felt the same. So, good there I guess. One difference I did notice is the Rocket seems to drop into a curve much easier, or lighter. Not sure how to describe it. It was a bit off-putting at first but I quickly became used to it. I had a good ride with no issues. It will be interesting to see the difference in lifespan, though.

So there you have it. First impressions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those interested, I picked up my Rocket today with the new Avon Cobra Chromes (front and rear). This is my first time with something other than the standard Metzelers. I was only supposed to ride it the thirteen miles home from the shop since I am still recovering from the injuries from my Speed Triple accident last month. But once I got on the bike at the shop I knew I wanted a good ride so off I went.

I put about 100 miles on the new Avons. Grip felt the same, cornering confidence felt the same. So, good there I guess. One difference I did notice is the Rocket seems to drop into a curve much easier, or lighter. Not sure how to describe it. It was a bit off-putting at first but I quickly became used to it. I had a good ride with no issues. It will be interesting to see the difference in lifespan, though.

So there you have it. First impressions.
I am really curious to see your impressions of these after some time & wear on them. Please report back and let us know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am impressed Sean, I like to see my tyres worn out before I change. My last rear had the canvas showing all the way around after a long ride home.
I have stopped running Avon tyres, had 3 failures with them on the R3 and the wife's Storm, bubbles in the tread. I now fit auto clicker the Bridgestone Excedra's and the new H50. Not quite the same mileage but a lot cheaper and better holding on corners

cheers
I had the same thing happen on my T-bird riding on a memorial day trip. I had tread, then I didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
The new Rockets come with Avon Cobra Chromes. I’m going yo tru a Metz 888 up front and an Avon Spirit on the back on my T120.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts