Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Pat-do you know the part numbers for the baffles from Big City you put in your D&D pipes? Neeed to know as I am prob moving that way.

By the way---
ZARD has never given any customer dyno runs or proved any HP increase etc. to my knowledge. They do have a new web site ZARD-if you are waiting like all the rest of us. I want to see some real stuff from real riders not just selected runs by the distributor.
Good looking stuff but ?????? They really need to turn some pipes loose to us so we can test and tune and dyno-I would do this at my expense if they let us have a set of pipes.

They are working on it. I like my D&D's and my TORS so I am OK with pipes.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I can't find ANY record of what I purchased from Big City Thunder.... ANYWHERE! And I've actually purchased the same thing from them three times!!! What they sell you is a small tube that fits snugly in your factory baffle...... so it is precisely what your D&D's inner core baffle inside diameter measures. I just wrote them an email to ask if they have record of what they sold me..... you can call them if you like and give them my name (Patrick Williams) to ask what they sent me. I wanna say it was the 1 5/8" Thunder Monsters..... can't remember though.

Tell ya what.... I've promised to give a couple of people some parts for their bikes.... gotta mail 'em out some day when I'm able. PM me your address and I'll shoot you the tubes I made for my D&D's. They have the Big City baffle welded in place (unintentionally) and the tube just slips in your D&D's in place of the factory baffle. However I found that the baffle seems to be more effective at the opposite end of where it's welded. If you reverse my tube and put a pipe clamp on the tube to prevent it from slipping outa the D&D, it seems to work better (we can discuss this at length over the phone if you like). I happen to be running my home made straight throughs right now with the Big City baffle.... (supplemented with a 3" JC Whitney baffle at the end of the my pipe). They seem to act more like a drag pipe for WFO throttle & high speed runs. I really like the results I got by putting the Big City baffle in the factory D&D baffle AND packing (no JC Whitney baffle at the end). The Big City's mounted to the D&D baffles have good low end and mid-range, and very linear up top.

Anyway, you've got some D&D's my tubes will fit in..... and you can have them to modify any way you want. It's absolutely fascinating how location of the Big City baffle, length of pipe, and choice of end tip/baffle at the end can totally change the characteristic of your engine's performance!!! That's why I have faith that the ZARD's are dialed in...... they know what they're doing. My buddy has heard of ZARD in the racing circuit, so they're not as new a kid on the block as we may be led to believe.

Shoot me your address.....
:-D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Oh... by the way, my best results was the final product pictured below.

*Big City baffle located closest to the engine
*JC Whitney at the end of the pipe
*JC Whitney teeth pushed in with a 1/2" drive to permit increased flow
*All this mounted inside the D&D. Notice that one end of the pipe is swedged to fit snugly at the D&D's cap. I then stuffed packing around the core just to deaden any resonance inside the can.

This isn't the one that I'm sending you..... but.... we can talk.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
whoa.... speedy. They got back to me, apparently I ordered the Thunder Monster part
number 2003, 1 5/8" for a pipe with a 1 3/4" outside diameter
and 1 5/8" inside diameter.

Big City Thunder

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-04 10:01 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts