Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Really? I have several carbureted bikes and have not noticed a problem. Have to put stabil in them when leaving them over winter, but otherwise no worries at all.
I do stabilize fuel for the winter, but then come spring I generally empty it out anyway and stick it in my truck, lol! And ya know, it never looks very good. I was using Seafoam and this year I'm using something called k100MG.

But, yeah, when I got my Sprint, my ex500 was ignored just a few weeks, and guess what? Gunk in the carbs, lol!

And when I went to do the major service on my Sprint, I hadn't ridden it for maybe 2.5 weeks due to high heat and that gas looked like crap already. And I bought it from a busy gas station in Toledo.

I think some areas of our country have better gas than others. It never used to be a big deal to let my tractors and what not sit over the winter, but now it is.

I worked on some carbs a few months ago for another member here that had already been "cleaned" at a bike shop for a cost of $300, but the guy who worked on them didn't do a very good job. There was gunk in the passage from the pilot screws to the pilot jets, and rust in the float bowls from before that member had lined the gas tank. It was like he didn't even take the float bowls off and look at them.

I've done a lot of lawn mowers and snow blowers this year for people as well as bikes.

·
30,014 Posts
But, yeah, when I got my Sprint, my ex500 was ignored just a few weeks, and guess what? Gunk in the carbs, lol!
Amazing - this year I have had to leave my bikes sitting for longer periods than usual, but no problems.

Well I feel for you, having to constantly deal with that is a pain in the buttockal region. I have to do my two lawn tractors, and CB750 in fact, but the carbs are pretty simple to get at.

The CB750 has sat for over 4 years, so it's only to be expected that it needs a clean. The previous owner did at least stabil the gas, so hopefully clean up won't be too hard, and if it is, there is always berrymans super duper carburettor cleaner.

Anyway, off topic. Sorry about that.

I voted for Calliway.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
So why is everyone voting for the T120?
Not taking anything away from any of the contestants, the T120 has the advantage of being the only "classic" in the running. The others have their votes split.

Same outcome occurs in politics where the ballots are split between more parties being left from centre than parties right from centre or vise-versa. The majority of voters didn't necessarily vote for the winning party. They won because they had less competition.

In this case, the majority of voters voted for a non-"classic".

If there had been another classic in the running, the votes for the T120 may have been split too.

All great bikes IMHO.

BTW, I voted for the T120 because I do not have any experience and am not as familiar with the modern bikes (yet).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts