Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Bike of the Year has 2 more polling days to go and the bike way out in front of the poll is a Meriden ! I wonder what Triumph Hinckley would make of that ? Probably start remaking 1960's T120's with carbs, distributor-points and Lucas electrics !

:rolleyes:

Bike of the Year

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm a Hinckley rider, a Hinckley fan, but I voted for the Meridian bike as I can appreciate the work that went into the restoration. Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well the Bike of the Year has 2 more polling days to go and the bike way out in front of the poll is a Meriden ! I wonder what Triumph Hinckley would make of that ? Probably start remaking 1960's T120's with carbs, distributor-points and Lucas electrics !
While that sounds really cool, I'd rather preserve the value of my original '69.

Hinckley doesn't want any part of the marque's Meriden history. Fine by me.

Ken

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
What are they supposed to be doing? Build bikes that are 50 years obsolete? I thought that was just Harleys? Are the Meridan fans supposed to think that the factory ought to do more to evoke the Coventry bikes?

While I appreciate the work and dedication that went into restoring the '68 T120, I like the thought and imagination that went into the '07 better.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I love my Hinckley Bonnie, I love my Meriden Bonnie, and I'm scouting around for a '38 Speed Twin. All different and all great bikes for their respective periods. That said, I'm personally far more interested in the restoration of a classic than the modification of a new model.

Ken

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Hinckley doesn't want any part of the marque's Meriden history. Fine by me.

Ken
I'm fine with that, too. Hinckley is doing a good job of carving out its own history and I'd rather they do that than be chained to Meridan's past.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Any old motorbike would never pass current emission laws. That's why Triumph put EFI on the Bonnies, & even Royal Enfield's had to go that route too, to sell their bikes in Europe. So Hinckley's doing as faithful a homage to it's history as regulations allow. & personally I'm more interested in the next big thing to come out of its R&D division, than I am in obsolete anachronisms. No matter how well restored they are.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I didn't vote for the T120.

The T120 is a fantastic-looking bike but I think what the replies are saying is that it had its time and that time is past and is never coming back. Like I said, I'd rather Hinckley carve their own history than rely solely on saying "hey, look how cool we used to be!"

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
It's a beauty contest. & that T120's a beauty. A credit to it's restorer. I've no problem with a Meriden winning a beauty contest. They always were beautiful bikes & deserve any appreciation & admiration they receive. But compare them in any other, practical, way to a Hinckley bike, & they don't shape up as favourably. I admit that the new Bonnie is not as light & nimble as the original, & is no longer at the cutting edge of motorcycling. But it more than makes up for it's bulk with a powerful & willing motor in a stiff frame with modern suspension, & it's rock solid reliability. & the Hinckley Triumph's that are at the cutting edge are still light & nimble, as well as being exciting & competitive.
I appreciate what this little firm has achieved in the past, & think it should be commemorated & celebrated. But I'm more interested in what they're doing right now, & excited by the thought of what they'll do in the future.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
There's a few that are getting there. The original Tbird Adventurer is quite sought after, & the original Speed Triple's a collector too. A low mileage Trophy 1200 would be an appreciating asset as well. Daytona 675s are also going to be fondly remembered. & as most will have been thrashed to destruction, any survivors are going to be worth good money.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Thunderbird 900 class - Adventurer - Legend are icon classics in the same way the BSA Goldstar is, a bike I should never have sold. I won't be selling my TB.

H

·
0 Posts
I really like the looks of older bikes but have sold them all off except the D1200SE. The newer Triumphs are ridable, good looking (to me) and dependable. By that I mean I just check every thing out and get on and ride. Once every 6k miles I check the shims and if lucky I get by with about 4k miles on the tires,

I sold the TBSs not because I didn't love em but because the fuel we are getting here was always causing carb problems, sold the Thruxton as it handled just about as bad as my old 68 on the track and kept the D1200SE for rarity and sound.

Folks who love to rebuild the old iron have my admiration and respect but give me my 675 or the D955s or the Sprint and I am happy with life. Some one said here it came down to a beauty contest at the end, I believ they are right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think if there'd been just one T3 in the contest, judging by their collective vote (& good showing for Mot's S3), it would win. Speaks volumes (rightly imo) for the regard in which Hinkleys first efforts are held. Not to denigrate in any way the superb T120 & great skill & effort that went into the resto - a worthy winner by any measure.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It took me awhile to decide what to vote on. It wasn't the T120 though. But, all the bikes up for the bike of the year honors are nice bikes.

I love old stuff. Antique furniture and other items, old tractors, cars and bikes. But, when it comes to what I want to ride or drive on a regular basis, I prefer the reliability and technology of newer vehicles.

And, Hap, I think you just convinced me not to get a TBS. I've been obsessing over them recently. But, yes, our gas does do a number on carbs, and frankly I'm tired of cleaning them. At least my dirt bike only has one. Right now I have all gas emptied from the zx600, which has the most awful carbs to get in and out due to the boots being aged and hardened. In the last couple of years I've cleaned a lot of carbs for other people as well. Guess I'd rather stick to FI.

·
30,035 Posts
Really? I have several carbureted bikes and have not noticed a problem. Have to put stabil in them when leaving them over winter, but otherwise no worries at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts