Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Member Photos - 750cc Twins

242K views 657 replies 212 participants last post by  GrandPaulZ 
#1 · (Edited)
78 750

Not quite so shiney - gets out in all weathers I'm afraid . . .

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Why not!

My '73 bitsa (well, more of a ratbike) Bonneville. It's a work in progress. I took this photo about a month ago, close to the end of the riding season this year. I consider a return to any semblance of originality to be a lost cause, but its cheap price (I have somewhere around $850 in it, total) and utter lack of being pristine make it probably the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned. It brings all the enjoyment of a vintage Triumph without any of the lurking worry that I might ruin a work of restoration art. :)

--Scott

#7 ·
Scott, you have $850.00 in the bike; how would you like to double your money? hee hee

What a deal!
I know! I think the guy's wife was sick of it sitting out in front of their cabin, the tag on it was from the late 90s. It needed a bit of work and about $350 to get it running and legal, but I simply couldn't pass-up the $500 asking price when the guy hit the kick-start a couple of times to demonstrate the engine wasn't completely seized.

what year is the engine? I noticed it was left hand shift
The engine is a 1978 T140V...I don't think there are two parts on the bike that were originally off the same bike.

--Scott

#9 ·
OK, here goes. 1st attempt at an image upload.

Details: 1978 T140RV Tiger, originally imported/sold in Canada, but now residing in sunny California. Mostly stock, had tank painted to look like early 70's pattern, which I find pleasing. Going through a through cleanup + head job after being dormant for almost 9 years.
Chromed primary+gearbox+timing cover - yuck, I was a stupid teenager back then...migth try having it removed.
Question: I was told that the later tigers (single carb) were a little rare in Cali/usa due to emmisions issues...any truth to that?
Cheers.

#13 ·
Here's mine - 1973 T140V, first registered Sept 1975 - it was 'locked in' the factory for a couple of years. I re-built it about 8 years ago, mods include belt primary, Boyer ign., Hagon shocks, progressive front springs, heat treated engine cases, +40thou rebore etc. etc.

#18 · (Edited)
750 oif

G'day, I've been lurking for a while and this is my virgin post.

I just obtained this 1979 T140E in exactly the state you see it. It has been stored for the last 7 years or so, runs ok and needs lots of lurve to bring it up to scratch. That'll start in a few months.

I also have a 1953 Velocette MAC which I purchased with my 72 year old father as a project in late 1999, I got it running after it had been sitting for 18 years, took him for a ride around the block and parked the bike with big expectations for a great resto job.

8 weeks later, my Dad, who had an illness that wasn't at any stage immediately life threatening, suddenly developed serious problems and died.

I live in Sydney and it remained in my mother's garage 550 miles away, untouched except for me kicking it over every month or so and pumping up the tyres from 2000 until about 6 months ago.

It is now in my shed and I have started to source some parts following a chance meeting with a local classic motorcycle retailer who has a Velo or two and has pointed me in the right direction.

Although I love my new Bonnie and I'm really looking forward to doing it up, I am determined to get the Velo rideable, for my Dad. He did up numerous MG cars, won awards etc. and this was going to be our first bike resto. I can't leave it unfinished.

#39 ·
77 tiger!

Recently finished 1977 Tiger. Roll on summer

Badger

What a fine bike. I would like to know about those muffler hangers. Do they have a part number or are they your own build?
I am working on a 76 T140V and am looking to hang some 650 T120 mufflers on a molested frame. you can see it in the members album -search for - 76 wip.

Thank you for any info on those hangers and Nice looking Tiger.
Dave

#20 · (Edited)
'77 tr7v

Here's Pearl, she's a work in progress. First pic was the day I brought her home last fall and the second was taken this evening. Since I got it I haven't done anything major, mostly cosmetic odds and ends (reupholstered the seat, all new grip/footpeg/kicker rubbers, bar end mirror, retro side covers, rattle can black here and there, painted the tank badges, and lots of soap ;)) Also a few maintenance things like new battery, new rear tire, rehabed the rear rim where a spoke was yanked out, a horn and work on both brakes. Considering swapping out the bars for something lower profile this year, we'll see. Nothin' fancy but I love it.

#95 ·
Here's Pearl, she's a work in progress...

RIP! I'm very sad to note this old girl got destroyed in a wreck recently. Possible the engine can be saved but my girlfriend, friends and family have all told me in strict terms not to do it but..we'll see ;). Thank the lord I only suffered injuries that'll heal eventually (2 broken arms, broken jaw and bum leg, and some other odds and ends). Step 1 is heal myself, then we'll see what happens next. Ride safe friends! I miss my bike..:(

#22 · (Edited)
Hello!

Hi everyone!
This is Eliza. She's a 77 Bonnie T140V. I got her last summer for $2900 in Seattle. Since getting her, I changed the clutch cable and she was running very well through the summer.. used to start first kick and everything. She's got electronic ignition (will post the make after verifying). Well, I let her sit over the winter and now she's dead.. or dying.. I checked compression and the verdict is not so good: 88psi left and 90psi right. Will do the squirting oil in the spark plug hole trick.. I'm praying its just the valves. Its 62deg outside and not a cloud in sight. For the Pacific NW, that's quite rare.. I feel so bad for doing this to her, but work and international travel ensured that I didn't get to spend any time mending her. I hope I can learn from your experiences even if I need to rebuild her. I want to get her running soon and will sacrifice many a weekend of partying, I'm sure.

Attachments

#23 ·
750-2

I have a 1977 750 Triumph power plant with a custom frame and accessories. Just wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction of a forum that I can learn more about this engine, and that can help me find after market parts to modernize/update this engine to a more reliable machine. I picked this bike up about a month ago and have rode it twice. It has a oil through the shifter shaft (primary cover), and somewhere on the bottom. I have heard a lot of positive and negative about Triumphs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This is my bonnie T140E 1978. Not a good picture. I can take some better later. At the moment the cylinder is off and at honing.

That looks sweet!!!! Love that paint work. Pray tell, what's the story behind it? :cool:

Thank you! :)

I got it in 2001. I have not painted it, but the black/silver colors is not correct for the year, i think. Its imported to Norway in 1997 (from America i believe) The speedometer says 33k miles, but its bored two times. It has new Amal MKIIs, alloy yokes, Hyde M-bars, 12" disc brake, AP alloy caliper, Hyde fork brace, 140D front fender, alloy gauge brackets, SS master cylinder, SS brake line, shortened original rear fender, lucas replica tail light, late chromed chain guard, 75 seat cover, old koni springs, old peashooters. I replaced all bushes, bearings, chain++ in driveline this winter, but it smoked so much when i started it last week, so i had to take of the cylinder head too. There was a river trough the valve guides. Im honing and replacing the piston rings at the same time. Hoping to be on the road again in a week or two.
Its far from original, but i dont care. I have built it in my own taste. Some day i will get me a stock 1968 or 1969 T120 as company for it in the garage.

bias - although I love originality of manufacture, I also appreciate originality of INDIVIDUAL TASTE! You have done very well with your '78. It brings a tear to my eye remembering my '78 which I traded for a 2000 Legend 900 triple (a good trade on both sides)...

GUYS - I accidentally screwed up and "merged" several posts instead of "MOVING" them...

Please reply with more info on your bikes (skid, is that your chop?)

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.