601 - 620 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
What made you buy the Trumpy, Jimmy ?

Jap bikes were the big thing back in 83

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Ross
Back around 77/78 I was still in school and reading all the 'biker' books that were doing the rounds. I enjoyed them but was struck then that I wanted either a Triumph Bonneville or a Norton Commando. There was an auld guy (to me anyway) who used to pass me daily on his way to work on a Commando. The way this bike looked and sounded was everything I thought a bike should be. I finally tracked down where this guy lived and went up to see the bike. Not knowing what I know now about people hanging about yer bike, I went straight into his garden and started looking under the cover. The guy came flying out his house offering me all sorts of violence if I went near his bike again. Fair play to me now, but back then as a snotty 14yr old, I thought him a tw*t.
Fast forward 3yrs and as a proud owner of a Yamaha 250, I met some guys sitting at a burger van and one of them had a Triumph T140. I told him I always wanted one and he just threw his keys at me saying 'on ye go'. I eventually started it up and away I went. Writing this, brings back the feeling of utter joy and excitement I felt and I vowed that that's what I would get, so just over a year later I set off down to Allan Jeffries in Shipley to buy my first Triumph...A 1980 T140D Special and so started my affinity to Triumph which has continued to this date.
In 1988 I was made redundant from the shipyards and got a reasonable (to me then) payoff, and lucky enough to get another job very soon after, so I spent just under £2k of my redundancy restoring this bike (even getting the engine a full rebuild). This was to absolutely no use to me as after only 3 months back on the road some low life scum bag(s) made off with it in the night.......
It started me on a long, sometimes bumpy road of Triumph ownership with 2 x T140Ds, a 5T, a 5Ta and and my current T160. I have also owned a couple of Hinckley Triumphs

I went out a run the other day with my mate on his 650 Tiger and it looked and sounded great. It gave me an itch for another twin, but short of spare funds atm

I never did get a shot of a Norton

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had this bike for 11 years now, and at my age (67) I hope to be riding it for at least another 11 years.
I've done a ton of work to it, repainted it 3 different times.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
I've had this bike for 11 years now, and at my age (67) I hope to be riding it for at least another 11 years.
I've done a ton of work to it, repainted it 3 different times.
I notice quite a few mods; nice paint!

I also noticed you are running a narrow belt; is it an original or have you gone thru more than one?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I notice quite a few mods; nice paint!

I also noticed you are running a narrow belt; is it an original or have you gone thru more than one?
I did do a lot of work to the bike, most of which went into the engine.
The belt drive came from MAP Cycle, cost more than $800, but very well worth it, the belt itself is only 1.25 inches wide, and in the 10 years I've had it on the bike I'm only on the second belt.
The bike is a tr7rv with a t140v head so I can run a pair of Mikuni's (32mm), bigger pistons, 9.5-1 compression, when it kicks back - you know you've been kicked, all hp valve train, electronic ignition (Pazon), cams with R rappers.
I drive it around like a normal person till I get out where there's no one around and then open it up, at this point I've never opened the throttle all the way and it still sets me back on the seat, especially when it gets up to 3500 rpm's and that's when the cams take over.
I built it to take to the drag strip, haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, I've got one of those MAP belt drives on my Triton, very nice stuff.
I'll never go back to a chain primary again, the belts last, they don't stretch like a chain, they don't need adjustments, and I can go from 4th to 5th without needing the clutch lever.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
...I can go from 4th to 5th without needing the clutch lever.
Once I get the bike rolling in 1st, I could ride till I run out of gas or get to a stop sign/light without ever using the clutch. It's just a matter of moderating and/or blipping the throttle as required to match engine revs to the upcoming gear selection.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mate, I'm going to run a belt drive on my 73 tiger, impressed with the cut out on the primary, how did you cut it out so neat. Cheers, Paul.
My original primary cover got destroyed when my rotor exploded taking the stator with it, and punched holes through the cover.
A friend had a 650 cover he let me have for $50, it had some pretty bad dings and deep dents, so the reason I run an open primary was because I cut all the bad parts out.
I used hacksaw blades, files, and gave my dremal a good workout, then polished everything.
What you see is the end results of damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bob B, struth that must have scared the daylights out of you when it exploded. I picked a primary cover (later left-hand gear shift) at a swap meet for $30, had a small dent in it. My mate is bloody brilliant welder, especially on aluminum. I was tossing up whether to run the belt, but from your review, I will. I've got a MAF unit as well, but when a got some more readys I think I should get an additional belt. It looks like you are also using a MAP breather kit If so does it work out well? I just rebuilt the bike in safety mode, however, after reading your description of your motor I think that I will start stocking up on 'go fast' equipment (as long as the cheese and kisses doesn't find out, otherwise I will end up with a squeaky voice). especially as I am much younger than you (turning 65 in February.) let me know about the breather kit mate. Cheers, Monaro.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bob B, struth that must have scared the daylights out of you when it exploded. I picked a primary cover (later left-hand gear shift) at a swap meet for $30, had a small dent in it. My mate is bloody brilliant welder, especially on aluminum. I was tossing up whether to run the belt, but from your review, I will. I've got a MAF unit as well, but when a got some more readys I think I should get an additional belt. It looks like you are also using a MAP breather kit If so does it work out well? I just rebuilt the bike in safety mode, however, after reading your description of your motor I think that I will start stocking up on 'go fast' equipment (as long as the cheese and kisses doesn't find out, otherwise I will end up with a squeaky voice). especially as I am much younger than you (turning 65 in February.) let me know about the breather kit mate. Cheers, Monaro.
I was riding from Springfield Mass to Framingham to the Burlington Mall.
On the Mass pike when all of a sudden I started hearing loud banging noises and actually felt the banging through the handlebars.
I didn't understand what was happening till I came to a stop at the mall ( on battery power ).
Had to go back with a u-haul pickup and trailer to get my bike home.
Yes, I'm running an MAP dry clutch belt drive, and the breather system absolutely and totally sucks.
Being that it comes out of the timing hole, the crank kicks all the oil straight to the breather hose, blows oil out the end at the rear wheel and coats the back end of the bike.
So this winter I'm going to bring the engine in to my apartment for a disassembly and try adding a new port for the breather which comes out of the engine case at the front mounting bolt.
I've seen some run breather lines out through the timing cover.
As for our age difference (SON ), I feel so old, a lot of the creaking and popping I hear on my bike - isn't coming from the bike.
LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
So this winter I'm going to ... try adding a new port for the breather which comes out of the engine case at the front mounting bolt.
I can't remember where I heard that that's NOT a good idea, but it SEEMS OK to me.

Certainly using the crank timing hole is not a good idea, as you'll get excessive oil output (although I would think that making a vertical exit would naturally force it to drain)

601 - 620 of 633 Posts