My old girl. .

Nice bikes!
I was starrting to get worried.
Here's my favorite pic of my '78

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why not!

My '73 bitsa (well, more of a ratbike) Bonneville. It's a work in progress. I took this photo about a month ago, close to the end of the riding season this year. I consider a return to any semblance of originality to be a lost cause, but its cheap price (I have somewhere around $850 in it, total) and utter lack of being pristine make it probably the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned. It brings all the enjoyment of a vintage Triumph without any of the lurking worry that I might ruin a work of restoration art. :)

--Scott

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scott, you have $850.00 in the bike; how would you like to double your money? hee hee

What a deal!
I know! I think the guy's wife was sick of it sitting out in front of their cabin, the tag on it was from the late 90s. It needed a bit of work and about $350 to get it running and legal, but I simply couldn't pass-up the $500 asking price when the guy hit the kick-start a couple of times to demonstrate the engine wasn't completely seized.

what year is the engine? I noticed it was left hand shift
The engine is a 1978 T140V...I don't think there are two parts on the bike that were originally off the same bike.

--Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, here goes. 1st attempt at an image upload.

Details: 1978 T140RV Tiger, originally imported/sold in Canada, but now residing in sunny California. Mostly stock, had tank painted to look like early 70's pattern, which I find pleasing. Going through a through cleanup + head job after being dormant for almost 9 years.
Chromed primary+gearbox+timing cover - yuck, I was a stupid teenager back then...migth try having it removed.
Question: I was told that the later tigers (single carb) were a little rare in Cali/usa due to emmisions issues...any truth to that?
Cheers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
750 twins

a bike i recently built and sold.

and a bike i work on as much as i ride.

Reactions: Jonny Stevens

·
Registered
1 Posts
my bonnie

hi all,
just joined up. after having a couple of modern triumph's i have just got myself a 74 t140v it was imported back to the uk in 98. hope the pic comes out!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
750s

Heres mine with Clubman bars sitting on Honda 350 risers.

Now i need to shorten the brake and throttle cables.

Anybody need original "Ape-Hangers", let me know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's mine - 1973 T140V, first registered Sept 1975 - it was 'locked in' the factory for a couple of years. I re-built it about 8 years ago, mods include belt primary, Boyer ign., Hagon shocks, progressive front springs, heat treated engine cases, +40thou rebore etc. etc.

Reactions: Jonny Stevens

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Side view:
Dunstall Decibels.
Harley tail lights found in a barn & re-wired.
Home-made side covers.
Fully floating rotor$.
'68 Tank badges.
Braided stainle$$ brake hoses front & rear.
MAP pressure plate and clutch pak (12) disc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
750 oif

G'day, I've been lurking for a while and this is my virgin post.

I just obtained this 1979 T140E in exactly the state you see it. It has been stored for the last 7 years or so, runs ok and needs lots of lurve to bring it up to scratch. That'll start in a few months.

I also have a 1953 Velocette MAC which I purchased with my 72 year old father as a project in late 1999, I got it running after it had been sitting for 18 years, took him for a ride around the block and parked the bike with big expectations for a great resto job.

8 weeks later, my Dad, who had an illness that wasn't at any stage immediately life threatening, suddenly developed serious problems and died.

I live in Sydney and it remained in my mother's garage 550 miles away, untouched except for me kicking it over every month or so and pumping up the tyres from 2000 until about 6 months ago.

It is now in my shed and I have started to source some parts following a chance meeting with a local classic motorcycle retailer who has a Velo or two and has pointed me in the right direction.

Although I love my new Bonnie and I'm really looking forward to doing it up, I am determined to get the Velo rideable, for my Dad. He did up numerous MG cars, won awards etc. and this was going to be our first bike resto. I can't leave it unfinished.

·
Registered
76 Posts
'77 tr7v

Here's Pearl, she's a work in progress. First pic was the day I brought her home last fall and the second was taken this evening. Since I got it I haven't done anything major, mostly cosmetic odds and ends (reupholstered the seat, all new grip/footpeg/kicker rubbers, bar end mirror, retro side covers, rattle can black here and there, painted the tank badges, and lots of soap ;)) Also a few maintenance things like new battery, new rear tire, rehabed the rear rim where a spoke was yanked out, a horn and work on both brakes. Considering swapping out the bars for something lower profile this year, we'll see. Nothin' fancy but I love it.

1 - 20 of 633 Posts