Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here's my baby.
She's a July 1971 TR6R 650 Tiger.
Ownership gets better and better with each year.
I test rode a current model Scrambler a week or two ago and one thing those modern Hinckley Triumphs don't have over the old Meriden models and that's soul.
Cheers
John Q

·
Registered
885 Posts
OIF 650s

My '72 TR-6R Home Model. Found in a barn in Southern Maryland last October with 1,607 original miles!!! Completely reworked everything and he started first kick!!! I put 7,000 miles on it this year. Ride 'em don't hide 'em

·
Registered
396 Posts
1972 TR6R - I've got the engine torn down in the basement now. New bearings/seals/clutch, cleaned out sludgetrap. .020 overbore is still within specs - new pistons, TotalSeal Hepolite rings. New transmission bearings. Rebuilt front forks - new seals/refill oil. Strange thing though - it has a Bonneville tank and seat on it. Since the bike is all original and everything works (!), I'm just going to rebuild the engine and transmission and leave the rest of the bike as it is. I think it's kind of cool to have it bone stock and original with a good, rebuilt motor.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
OIF 650

I'm just trying to post a photo of my Bonnie. Have followed GPZ's instructions but still not sure if this will work. See how I go. RR

·
Registered
396 Posts
oif 650s

It's running! First kick, no less! Frankly, I'm amazed... I had it apart down to the sludge tube, replaced the crankshaft bearings, big ends, all the tranmission bearings, every seal and gasket, re-indexed the transmission correctly (!), new clutch/chain/front sprocket, new valves/guides/pistons/rings.

... and the sumbitch started first kick... I'm psyched!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
'76 Bonnie

Greetings all- got the old girl out today for a very pleasant ride. She came through a winters nap with flying colors. Battery tender made it a one-kick start... after the pre-flight checks.
Not perfect, but not too bad for a matching-number rider, I guess. I know modern bikes are easier to ride, (I've got a couple of 'em) but sometimes you just can't beat the classics for the fun factor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
650 oif

Well I went to see the guy who is currently doing up my 1979 T140e and he had a customer's bike for sale. My girlfriend has recently got her license and I thought 2 Bonnies would be better than one, so I brought it for her, then and there!!!

It has been the daily ride of the guy who owned it and it is a little rough around the edges but it runs OK, albeit very rich!

It is all there, including the front guard, which will need some panel beating. It has matching numbers and was imported from the USA about 3 years ago. Despite some obvious probs with the chokes, it starts with 3 or 4 kicks and sounds sweet with the straight thru pipes, which will eventually be replaced with something a little more user friendly. :D

It will be done up over the next few months, when finances allow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
650 oif

Here's my 71 TR6C cant claim credit for anything - bought it this way but will endeavour to keep it sweet. Re-imported to the UK in 2005 but dont know its history from before then. May have only done 7500 miles. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,257 Posts
Hey, cool! When i went to sleep late last night, this sub-section was still being considered for addition; glad to see the final decision was positive!

Very nice home model "blockade bike". Have you found many things odd about it as far as mixing and matching of parts?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Odd? Oh, yes!

Thanks GPZ.
Yes, the 1974 bikes are, as I said in another post, probably individually unique as far as what parts used is concerned.
Fortunately, when I first bought Baby, there were several parts shops in the area where I could take the original item that was worn out and get an identical replacement (from whichever model it came from). It only took a few years before I knew what was what as far as specific parts and their respective models was concerned.
It always amuses me when I read the various specifications for this bike and I think 'no, it hasn't got that', or 'that is chrome and not s/s or painted, or whatever'. Just whatever was in the parts bin at the time I suppose!
Mark

·
Registered
506 Posts
My other Bonnie

Here is my ratty 1972 T120R, along with my son who wanted a picture for Facebook pretending that the bike was his....:)

I have been buying bits and pieces for the last couple of years ready to take her off the road and bring her back to something like standard.

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
1971 T120R Oiler

Here she is and still unfinished. I a heap of photos from start to finish which i will post in the rebuild section ie. rebuilding the engine. Im currently fabricating the exhuast which will be upswept & wrapped with reverse cone shortys. I removed the rear pillion frame supports and made up some single supports which support the pipes. I still have the old ones so i can reweld when the time to go back to standard calls....also have to modify the manifolds to stop the mikunis from falling off as there isnt much room to clamp them on......more pics to come. Its ashame you cant see my gold regina chain in the pics!!!

Getting somewhere

More progress

more again

& more

·
Registered
552 Posts
this isn't mine (wish it was!) Photographed at the International "North West 200" road race in ireland 2 years ago...took my breath away...surely one of the nicest looking unit twins Triumph ever built??

·
Registered
110 Posts
You didn't happen to take any pics of the Bonnie in front of it did you? Looks like a schmick example of my 79 T140e.

1 - 20 of 481 Posts