Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of putting the cover on my bike while the pipes were still warm enough to melt the cover. Needless to say - I've got a section probably a couple inches where the material from the cover melted on the pipes. Can anyone share some tips on getting this off? I've heard that several passes with steel wool varying grades from low to high will do it, but maybe there is something that I don't know about that would be easier?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Same thing happened to me...
Start the bike and let it warm up - let the pipes get HOT.
Then take an old towel (one you don't mind throwing away), and some good gloves, and then just wipe the area. It should be hot enough that you can literally wipe it off the pipe without a problem.
I had a bag melt on mine. Came right off.
You might find some other options using the search function.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
"Easy off" oven cleaner worked well for me...and some 0000 steel wool...I sprayed the oven cleaner on the wool pad to avoid over spray... same thing happend to me a few days after I got my bike and "easy off" is what all my old silverbacks I ride with told me to use...and it worked...

edit:... this worked on cold pipes

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,806 Posts
I'd hesitate to comment without knowing what kind of pipe we're talking about here. Stainless? CF? Titanium?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Steel Wool works great~

I hung my jacket on the grip one day and before I could say "Oh Shoot" the liner melted to the header pipe.

Steel wool is softer than the chrome so with a bit of work the melt was removed.

I just wish it would have taken off the discoloration too.

Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks...

Hi all, this is my first post here so I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips about this...I recently and accidentally ran over my bike cover with my still running and hot-engined Speed Triple and needless to say ended up with large sections of melted bike cover on the underside of my 3-into-1 Arrow system. Here's how I fixed it:

1. Ran the bike until the pipes were good and hot again and plastic was melting.

2. Switched off the bike and soaked an old cotton towel in cold water, which i then used to wipe away the majority of the melted plastic quite easily.

3. There was still some small remaining areas of thin but baked on plastic around the edges of the area where the cover had melted. so once the pipes had fully cooled, I took a chux household wipe, unfolded it to its thinest point and then wrapped it around a household scourer. I used this to scrub the remaining plastic with Autosol metal polish. The scourer added a little more friction than the autosol alone and the chux prevented any scratching.

4. After about 10 minutes I then rubbed off the polish with a clean chux and now the pipes look cleaner and shinier than they did before the plastic went on in the first place!! :cool:

Hope this helps someone else out like the advice already here helped me!
Cheers, Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts