Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so as some of you recall I fixed my charging system with a Mofset style R/R a couple months ago.

Bike is working great! Love it! But while cleaning the under carriage this week I noticed that the plug attached to R/R (on the stator side) is melting. It hasn't melted entirely yet, and it's still seemingly working fine but it is definitely getting worse. I'm afraid it may eventually melt away entirely or catch fire.

Now here's the thing... It's only the connector on the wire from the R/R that's melting. Meaning the connector on the wire coming from the stator is in fine shape (at least from what I can see). I'm assuming there is a bottleneck occurring here where resistance is causing some heat and melting the r/r side connector.

How should I repair this? Is hard soldering each of the 3 wires the right thing to do? I am leaving for a 2500 mile trip on Saturday and don't believe I'll have time to order parts or replace the wiring all the way to the stator.

Is a splice acceptable??

·
Registered
46 Posts
After recently replacing my stator and R/R most suppliers say a hard soldered joints is the best way to go.

Me being a little skeptical thinks if these stator n R/R are common for burning out. Seems too much work to solder and un solder every time one goes down . And if a problematic charging system I believe that's where a rewind stator and series R/R comes in.

But back to your issue a soldered joint will be fine if happy for the work. Crimped connectors of correct gauge is also better choice than the orginal connectors . Or if you have time to find a local shop that sells automotive connectors upgrade the connector. Any 3 pin (spade or bullet) type will be fine as long as heat and water proof.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hard wiring the connectors makes troubleshooting and replacement more of a pain, so I've never done it myself.

If the shell is melting, the connector inside it is not properly connected.

Aside from sourcing high quality connectors and proper shells and re-terminating everything properly, it's probably easiest to get it ready for your trip by removing the connectors from their shells, plugging them together, and using some heat shrink tubing to keep them from touching. Crimp the female where it's melting a little bit, to be sure that circuit isn't arcing. Maybe do the same to all of them.

When you get back, get new connectors and do it up right.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much for the thoughtful replies!

I think in the interest of ensuring I can still troubleshoot the system in the future I'll replace the connectors for this trip, and if they melt again I will go about doing the wire upgrade system wide and at that point hard solder the lines. As of my last test the charging system works perfectly, just seems to have this bottleneck at the stator side connector.

Guess maybe when I was assembling it I didn't get it plugged in all the way and cause the resistance point?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's unlikely that this was down to you not connecting things well. This is such a common problem with various Triumph models that it's more about dodgy design. Both OEM and moffset R/Rs just put too much juice through the connector, hence the heat build up. As mentioned earlier, a series R/R should prevent it as it puts less juice through the connector.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For your trip, carry some butt connectors with you. Along with pliers, heat shrink tubing (with a source of heat, matches, lighter). Otherwise you might stress about it and not enjoy your vacation as much as you should.

Road side repairs at Laguna Seca. I went the cheap way and changed my burned stator for a Rick's one. Voltage were perfect but way too much heat in the wires. Burned the new connector. But I was ready for it so in about 1 hour I was on my way again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's odd is that the charring, it's only the connector on the side of the R/R. It is not on both the stator connector and the R/R connector. As if only the male side of the connection is getting hot enough to melt the plastic. That's why a bad connection in that side of the connector seems logical to me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Realized I had extremely limited space underneath the tank so I decided I would snip off the old connectors, Mark them, and use butt connectors to attach. I didn't see a reasonable way to get at the wires without removing the tank, airbox, and whatever else would give me easy access to the engines posterior.

Once I got each connector on which was yet a pain in the ass! I heat shrinked each one to seal it from the elements, the bundled the three together and covered that in a piece of heat shielded tubing.

I checked voltages and they were all rock solid. Looks like I changed this just in time too because the plugs were starting to fall apart.

Hopefully this holds up, but if my history with this bike holds up further it won't last and I'll be back fixing it again.

Anyone wanna give me the info on the proper way to wire this up next time so I can save myself some cussing and yelling while fiddling around under the tank?

Thanks again fellas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts