Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was all going fine,and then,...this piissttt noise comes from one of the clynders every so often,it misses, maybe every minute or two,sometimes when it ticks over it will hapen and cut out,start up no problem rev up no problem ,im lost,i took it for a spin it runs smooth,when i pulled in ,ticking over it cut out,any help or ideas will be much appreciated ,thanks:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Clean out the spark plug wells of water and debris. Then have a look at / replace the plugs. Best start with the easy stuff.

If it really is making a hissing noise from the plug well area, then it could be a sparkplug that is sitting loose on it's threads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is the check engine light on? Were is the noise coming from, Exhaust area,head gasket seam, or spark plug wells? Hard to ays with out hearing noise.:confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you know those 3 pipes each coming from one carb ? inlet ,where the air box sits down,and the 3 pipes go in to the air box underneath in a kind of mechanisim ,well those 3 pipes were very badly coroded and cracked,
i dident think it would affect it to bad until i tried to start it with them all off,so i taped them all over,it hasent happened since.
im just keeping my fingers crossed:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Yes, the MAP sensor tubes are quite important as on later bikes those + the crank position sensor are what the ECU uses for determining on which cycle to fire on etc.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Nope. The tubes that connect to the throttle bodies lead up to the MAP sensor.

On later bikes that do not have separate camshaft position sensor the MAP signal is used in combination with the crank position sensor to figure out if the engine is on the exhaust or work cycle. MAP is also used as an aid for fuel injection timing and amount trims.

Best get the tubes replaced soonish, if they are frayed enough to crack already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts