Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the mecatwin undertail and the small oval light that is also available from them. I replaced the tail light bulb with a standard 1157 type dual filament bulb when the original blew. But now only the tail light works...the brake light does not illuminate.

Need some advice please. Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the mecatwin undertail and the small oval light that is also available from them. I replaced the tail light bulb with a standard 1157 type dual filament bulb when the original blew. But now only the tail light works...the brake light does not illuminate.

Need some advice please. Thanks.
I had a similar problem when I wired an after market light to my legend and it was a matter of reversing the wires as the brake light was coming on with the tail light circuit on the new set up which is a higher wattage and overpowering the tail light filament which is not as bright.In other words they where the wrong way round.However this does not sound like your problem as it was ok with the old bulb?Is the old bulb physically different to the the new one?
Don't worry someone with more know how than me will get it sorted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you check the fuses?maybe the old bulb is still good and the problem is a loose wire where you connected to the bike system. ground may have come loose and you thought the bulb was bad. Let us know what you find...

Mark..

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Have you taken the lens off and observed which filaments are lighting? Mine was doing that recently, at the Classics Rally. Turned out the rear brake light switch was knackered. It was stuck on all the time. So it looked like the tail light was OK, and brake light was the problem when actually both were on all of the time. Brake light switch was a bit expensive, but that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think it is a switch issue...only one of the two bulb elements is illuminated. But the intesity changes a tiny bit (barely noticeable with the lens removed) when the brakes are applied.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
thats sounding like a potential ground issue to me

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I replace the whole thing with a Hyperlight flashing brakelight and used doublesided tape to hold it in place. Horrid electrics it comes with. I think I used the S16 kit and didn't even have to mess with the resistor. I'll take a pic when I can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replace the whole thing with a Hyperlight flashing brakelight and used doublesided tape to hold it in place. Horrid electrics it comes with. I think I used the S16 kit and didn't even have to mess with the resistor. I'll take a pic when I can.
Thanks I would like to see a pic of your set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts