Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, got a story to share with you in hopes that you all will cheer me up with some positive advice this forum is well known for. On march 1st i was on my way to work in San Francisco and was hit by a large suv making an illegal left in front of me. [please bear with the bad grammar and typing this is all being typed with one finger]
I just got out of the hospital with two broken arms, two broken wrists, three broken teeth, stitched lip, and a fractured pelvis. The accident was totally unavoidable as this guy was bombing down the street, failed to use a directional, and cut across two lanes to mow me down. With the exception of my left wrist i hope to make a full recovery, am insured, have a loving wife and family to help me through the next few painful months.BUT...MOTORCYCLING IS MY LIFE! I have ridden probably just about everyday for the past three years of my late twenties. I enjoy every aspect of it and had planned on making wrenching on bikes a carreer. With this big change in my life my wife doesn't every want me to ride again. I don't blame her as she was certainly almost widowed last week I Just don't know how to even start to fill this void in my life...thanks for listening. -topher

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Damnn man, your a tough dude! I keep waiting for the day when no one sees me or cuts me off in an intersection like that. Have a fast recovery and get back in the saddle if that's what you want to do. I hear if you double up on your pain killers it doesn't hurt as bad! :wink:

Greg

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wow man, glad you aren't injured any more seriously than you are. Your another to add to the growing list of injury's of member's on this forum. It's only been 10 days since this occurred, emotion's are probably still somewhat elevated.

Both your's as well as your family's...just remember that this isn't a reason to give up riding, It's just a reason to evaluate where you are in your life. A reason to be grateful for where you are and what you have..( regarding family etc...not material things )...if you need inspiration, look to Ozbon...as well as other's who have recently had recent injury's while riding.

This is not a reason to stop riding, it's a reason to be grateful...take it easy man.

:upthumb:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Topher,

Im realy sorry to hear about your R.T.A it sounds awfull I hope you make a fast recovery. My advice is to try and focus on healing for a bit first, put thebike on the back burner, because as Trim said you will be a bit all over the place with your emotions. (Or maybe you will be okay , because you sound as hard as nails). Biggest peice of advice though is: not to dwell on it. Your ALIVE!
Take care,

Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi topher
hey you are lucky to be here , get well soon .

·
Registered
759 Posts
Amen that you are alive...I wish you and your family the best as you recover. As you may or may not know...I too went down in late January, although I was not injured as serious as you, I understand your wife's concern as mine felt the same...Focus on healing now, Focus on Family, Focus on your life...I would not tell someone "how" to live their life, but when you are healed...and ready to ride...That is when you and your wife should reflect. I am also Motorcycles...I am surrounded day in and day out...It's all I think about...within reason. But Family...I could never replace.

God Bless...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thank God your talking about it man. I understand your wife's concern, and frankly can't blame her. Only you two can decide if you will be riding the road after this, but you have time before dealing with that.

I stepped off my Harley at 100mph from a defective rear brake seize and spent quality time thinking about riding as it was being rebuilt.

My next comment is not directed to your accident, but to us riders at large. Yesterday, we had a safety talk with a motor officer. One of the topics was saving our ass, even though we are not at fault (how to not be a victim).

He told us he has to make on average two major evasive moves a week while on patrol. Even though they are rarely even partially his fault, his point was had been paying full attention to riding he would have seen hints someone was about to screw up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep,
You do have to assume that you are invisible, and that people won't do the right thing. I spent a year on my Matchless 650 in L.A. back when I was young and couldn't be killed. I remember three times in the first two weeks that I would have bought it if I hadn't been the one to take evasive action because of somebody else's mistake. After that I didn't keep track any more because it was so common.
I learned the <real> kind of defensive driving that year- noticing where other drivers are looking, seeing a front wheel begin to turn out of the corner of your eye, etc. That experience stood me in good stead throughout my driving career.
But, last year when I got a bike again after 25 years without one of my own, I realized that I really had to pay attention and take it up a level to be back on a bike. I'm even planning the MSA course for this year - I know I can always learn something new!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Please retain a Lawer for all possible options concerning your health and finances.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Glad you are OK!! Sounds almost as bad as mine 15 yrs ago. I had the outa body thing then. Heal the body & think the bike later. I remember 6 weeks later (4 in coma) having my bike delivered via tow truck to the house. It didnt look too bad in the newspaper photos- wrong!! I told them to take it somewhere & hobled back in the house via walker. Since re-riding now I always look for eye contact. If dark or whatever I use my new LOUD horn as often as I feel like it. Also ridew/ the high beam all the time. Man a real bummer. Hate to hear thosekinda stories!! Get well soon!!! :(

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree with eveyone...Get well soon. Life is full of risk...do what you can to minimize those you can; and never let the fear of death enter your heart...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Last May I almost died in a 1-m/c accident. It's a long story, but due to some unseen fluid in the road, I got high-sided head-first into a concrete wall at somewhere between 45-50 mph. I broke C2 in my neck (same bone Christopher Reeves broke), 5 ribs, and my right foot.

I wasn't sure I'd ever ride again, and although I'll never be back to the same shape I was in prior to the accident, I am back on a bike. It's what I do..

I tell those who can't believe that I'd get back on one that, "I don't fish, and I don't play golf - I do motorcycles".

I'm damned lucky to be here, alive and in charge of my faculties. But I'm not going to quit riding until I get to the point where I can't hold one up - then I'll add a side-hack and keep on pushing..

Hang in there.. your recovery may be slow, but if you like riding as much as I think you do, you'll find a way to get a leg back over one as soon as it's feasible.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened Topher... to be sure. :(

But glad you survived the crash (for the most part)! :)

I try to be extra cautious when approaching intersections. I'll have flashes of a past car vs car accident that was caused by another driver who made a similar dumb-ass maneuver... turned left in front of me as I approached. I also remember that if and when it does happen, there may well be no avoiding a crash. I still have a bad upper back and bad neck to remind me sometimes as well.

I wish for you that everything heals well, and heals soon.
Good luck with those #@$%*ing insurance companies too. :hammer:

Phil/dog

·
Registered
196 Posts
I saw tons of motorcycles on my visit to San Fransisco...and it was raining for the four days I was there! You guys have balls for riding there...sorry to hear about your accident. Get well soon.

:2guns: to the SUV drivers.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120
42 Posts
On 2007-03-11 15:00, Topher wrote:
Hey guys and girls, got a story to share with you in hopes that you all will cheer me up with some positive advice this forum is well known for. On march 1st i was on my way to work in San Francisco and was hit by a large suv making an illegal left in front of me. [please bear with the bad grammar and typing this is all being typed with one finger]
I just got out of the hospital with two broken arms, two broken wrists, three broken teeth, stitched lip, and a fractured pelvis. The accident was totally unavoidable as this guy was bombing down the street, failed to use a directional, and cut across two lanes to mow me down. With the exception of my left wrist i hope to make a full recovery, am insured, have a loving wife and family to help me through the next few painful months.BUT...MOTORCYCLING IS MY LIFE! I have ridden probably just about everyday for the past three years of my late twenties. I enjoy every aspect of it and had planned on making wrenching on bikes a carreer. With this big change in my life my wife doesn't every want me to ride again. I don't blame her as she was certainly almost widowed last week I Just don't know how to even start to fill this void in my life...thanks for listening. -topher
That's a real shame. I don't think you got that lucky, yeah you could have died, but you could also not have had to write this if that guy had at least bothered to look where he was going, or more accurately, how he was going there. I'm curious, did he stop? was it a hit-and-run? There's so much crappy behavoir out on the road, I would not be surprised. Your story is sobering, hope you and your family find the right answers for you after you're whole again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the accident, you do sound hard as nails though and your passion for life will see you through.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Topher

Sorry to hear about your accident, all the advice everyone has given you is first rate.
The only decision you need to make right now is to CONCENTRATE ON HEALING, nothing else. Also, continue to tell anyone who'll listen to you about your accident, don't keep it bottled up. Don't kill yourself with, "If only I did this" or "If only he looked" that's negative thought. Whats done is done.
It's obvious your passionate about bikes, your wife doesn't need to hear about them at the moment, you'll know when it's time to bring them up with her. Your wife and family will need a lot of support/strength from you now, if they see you upbeat and always very positive they will get an enormous amount of strength from you to deal with the trauma.
And last of all, laugh, smile even joke about it.
Get well soon and all the best mate!
If you want to talk some more about this, PM me anytime.
At least we know it"ll take more than a SUV to kill ya!! :-D

john :-D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts