Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read about this remake Of Steve McQueen's Metisse Desert Racer in my new issue of Motorcycle Classics Rag...
Here is a link to the web site...
Click and enjoy if you haven't already!
http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/stevemcqueen.htm
Video et al...
"Ride 'em, don't hide 'em"
Got any spare change?!
Send it to... ME!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would love to own one of those! However, I wouldn't ride it like a modern bike. It is much too pretty. And I suspect the technalogy can't be very modern.
Own one? Hell yea.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
She's a beauty.....but at $13,000 or so, I'll stick with my Scrambler! I hope they aren't harvesting old Triumph Trophies to build them. Between that and all the renewed interest in bobbers.....There will be few matching numbers examples left. :cool:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Beautiful yet expensive . But you get what you pay for .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can I have one dad? Can I? Can I? Can I?

I read in MCN last week that McQueen's original desert sled that this bike is based on is up for auction and expected to fetch £45k. Now that I would like!

·
Registered
267 Posts
A buddy of mine who I raced with in vintage motocross had a original Rickman Triumph twin he bought fully restored from Rick Doughty at Vintage Iron ( I think he took out a 2nd. loan out on his house to pay for it) anyway the bike was so unreliable, he got so mad one day he destroyed it with his loading ramp-true story.The sad part for him was it cost him another $6000.00 to rebuild it to sell it. To bad this was pre-youtube , anyway he sold the bike for around $10,000 and the buyer threw in a Ducati monster to complete the deal. Now I don't know for sure if he really got that much cash but, I did ride the Ducati. Fellows those old bikes are beautiful but, they really are museum pieces now. That new one is nice but, if you were to ride it or even race it in vintage motocross you have to be rich period...... Just put the poster of it on your wall and buy a new scrambler.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Personally, I don't get all the interest in Steve McQueen. Jus tbecause a stunt rider rode a Triumph in one of his movies.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Personally, I don't get all the interest in Steve McQueen. Jus tbecause a stunt rider rode a Triumph in one of his movies.
Steve McQueen was an accomplished desert racer on Triumphs back in the days of the old hare and hounds. He also competed in at least one International Six Days Trial in about the mid '60s, not sure of the exact year. Granted that some of his mystique relates to his movie image but he was in fact a real motorcyclist too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
McQueen was the real deal with bikes and fast cars but I don't get why his estate is selling his signature on something he never touched.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bud Ekins

Jamo, Bud Ekins was the stunt rider a close friend of Steve's . Hollywood wouldn't let Steve do the stunt in the Great Escape because of insurance reasons. Believe me - us, Steve had the capability and the stones to pull off that stunt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just as an aside does anyone know where I could lay my hands on a poster of McQueen on his bike that is on the front cover of the book 40 Summers Ago. The book came with this poster too. Its such a cool picture and i'd love to have it hanging in my garage behind my Scrambler. Even a large digital image would be good so I could get it made into a poster.

Here is the pic in question:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Totally agree, McQueen was an first rate actor and an extremely good motorcycle rider.

I think he represented the USA in a motorcycle competition (in East Germany in the mid 1960s???).

If you read his story he is quite a character and he was never one to just 'be polite', he would speak his mind. Personally from what I've read about him he seems a nice but prickly character. He had no time for the 'suits', that is the Hollywood fixers who ran the film industry. He could be annoying and self indulgent; however towards the end of his life he did go through a profound change and a genuine spiritual journey.

Great guy.

Casper :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stunt rider you say?
Steve was on the USA ISDE team in 1964!
That's the International Six Day Enduro!
In my youth I could do maybe 6 hours! More like six minutes now!

QUOTE=theblackhand;1264907]McQueen was the real deal with bikes and fast cars but I don't get why his estate is selling his signature on something he never touched.[/QUOTE]

Touched? He owned and raced one! His son Chad was please to allow them to build them. It was Steve's favorite bike out of 200+ he owned...
Quit a few of his bikes are in museums and can be seen at Half Moon Bay bike show...
:bow:

Here is a link to the article in Motorcycle Classics...
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/motorcycle-reviews/steve-mcqueen-metisse-triumph-replica.aspx

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jamo you need to get yourself a dictionary and look up "Cool" There will be a picture of Steve McQueen instead of a description ;)

It'll probably be something like this one:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for posting the clip! Don't think i can afford one of these Rickmann Metisse's but a lovely bike nevertheless.

Casper :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts