Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the MotorcycleNews (uk)website it is stating that Triumph haven't taken many orders for the new Tiger and that they may have under-estimated the feeling and requirement of 'us' the old Tiger riders.
I wonder if its true or another MCN dubious report

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi STman.

The problem is that MCN don't really like Triumph which is a shame. They are very begrudging of praise. Whereas MCN love Ducati and just keep making excuses for the 998/999 flopping the group tests. None of the Italian manufacturers even bothered to display at the NEC Bike show last week, business has been that bad.

I'm sure the new Tiger will do well just as I'm sure everyone will continue not to buy Multistrada's.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm running into quite a few people who are very impressed with the new Tiger and are potential buyers - none of them existing Tiger owners.

While us existing Tiger owners may not like the new model I think there is a large market out there for this kind of bike.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know why MCN is so anti Triumph. MCN will deny this and say that they give reports on bikes as the bikes bcome available, which is true but how often does MCN go looking for Triumph info.
I am fed up with the bias that MCN shows towards DUCATI and HARDLEY DAVIDSON. This week there is a six page article about a B.....Y Ducati.

I didn't take too well to the new Tiger at the NEC but I still want to ride one before I dismiss completely.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Triumph and MCN have some history of rubbing each other up the wrong way,or should i say Bloor and MCN!!!.

The remarks about Ducati and why they didn't show at the NEC are simply NOT TRUE,the reason they didn't show was because they chose to reveal their new 1100 at the Milan show,along with the new supermoto,and on that basis there was little piont in going to the exspense of a stand.

I went to the NEC on trade day and again on the last sunday,the guy on the Triumph stand told me the'y had 80 orders which didn't strike me as impressive,as one of those that have gone the 17" wheels,upgraded brakes and suspension the new'un has missed the mark with it's back end,and while i intend to keep my Tiger,i'll be spending my money on pastures new i'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I like the new bike and have decided to get one. But I am going to wait for the 2008 model year for any bugs to get ironed out.

I also have to sit on it as I am just shy of 5'-11" with only a 32" inseam. I need to make sure I can get on and off of it without looking a fool. The high tail with panniers is the part I am worried about.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
For one up rideing i think it will be a great bike,and haveing sat on one and am a similar height will be no problem.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think I am going to be OK with it. I have tried out the BMW 1200 GS which I think is slightly taller than the new Tiger and found it comfy.

I did about a 150 miles on a 2006 955 Tiger and did not have any problems except for sometimes draggin my leg on the panniers getting off. I think that Tiger was set at the low end though. So it might have been about 33" to the seat. But that seat is much wider than the new Tiger's.

I don't do tours two up. When I do ride with a pillion it will be local and on my T100 which has the comfiest pillion seat and peg positions of all time.

On 2006-11-10 14:25, winger wrote:
For one up rideing i think it will be a great bike,and haveing sat on one and am a similar height will be no problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey Chuck, you sound a lot like me. You don't like to purchase a new mode the first year it is released. That way they have a chance to work out the bugs. I went ahead and ordered a new '07 because there is nothing really new about the Tiger other than looks. The motor is tried and tested, the frame is really similar to the S3, the brakes and front end are essentially S3 items. There just is not much of the Tiger that is truly new technology or new mechanically speakng that Triumph has not used on their other bikes. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
OKC:

I agree the main components would be pretty much proven. But I want to wait and hear reviews from you and other real world motorcyclists re: the personality of the motor and the riding characteristics. I don't trust the magazine reviews. Somebody getting flown out to Scottsdale for a golf and motorcycling weekend courtesy of the Motorcycle manufacturer is going to be biased plain and simple. Just to make sure something weird isn't going on with the bike. While being pretty much the same brakes, motor etc. the steering geometry and weight will be a little bit changed and I want to make sure it is a forgiving ride. The motor is a little bit de-tuned from the S3 and the Sprint so I want to hear from people like you first hand on that as well. Also, highway aerodynamics will be of interest to me.

Monetarily it makes sense for me to wait. Also time wise. I need to have my house painted and get new windows this coming summer. Basically the $15-20K that would be available for a new bike has to go into home maintenance.

I am also starting some post graduate work next January at University of Nevada that is going to pretty much keep me busy all the time for awhile. I am also going to try and buy a second house or condo near the University maybe next fall (all requiring money!) . I eventually see the TIger helping me out with the commute to the University in the non-winter months.

So I am not going to jump into the new bike until about this time next year maybe order an '08 hopefull that yellow one that looks so handsome in the photos. Not to say if the dealer has one in the show room this summer, I may be sorely tempted to get a jump on it.

[ This message was edited by: ChuckofTahoe on 2006-11-11 10:30 ]

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Here is the Gold one I am interested in for 2008. I Really like this bike on paper so far. I hope it is right sized for me without lowering it. People compare the bike to the VStroms and the FZ1 but to my eye, the styling is so much cleaner (less busy) and classier. The wind screen, gas tank and half fairing also seem much more substantial than the Japanese bike. I also think it is a winner vs. the BMW GS styling as well. I am pretty much set on owning one of these:

[ This message was edited by: ChuckofTahoe on 2006-11-11 10:50 ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
I fully understand Chuck and will be more than willing to share my impression of the Tiger once I have had the opportunity to put some miles on her.

I can't wait to get her, I miss the S3 tremendously. Thursday nights the local Kawi dealer invites any and everybody to go on a ride to some restraunt no more than say 50 miles away or so. I took the Meany (which I love) but was missing the Speedy when all the inline fours went whizing by :(

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Have they given you an idea when it will be delivered? I can hardly wait as well for your riding impressions.

On 2006-11-11 10:50, OKCTriple wrote:
I fully understand Chuck and will be more than willing to share my impression of the Tiger once I have had the opportunity to put some miles on her.

I can't wait to get her, I miss the S3 tremendously. Thursday nights the local Kawi dealer invites any and everybody to go on a ride to some restraunt no more than say 50 miles away or so. I took the Meany (which I love) but was missing the Speedy when all the inline fours went whizing by :(

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I find i'm in a catch 22 situation,the bike looks good with all the right bits but the pillion just ain't going to cut it,but for you guys who buy one,you'll have a mighty shock in comparison to the present model,you have no idea how much the 19" front wheel and the choice of tyres restricts it ability on the road.

The offroaders might not be to impressed,but to others it will be a eye opener,plenty of suspension and sticky tyres are a great combo.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The pillion will really have to sit high. And the legroom for the pillion may not be that great. The pillion is going to have to be pretty fit too to climb up on there. No fat chicks allowed. :-D

Seriously though, my longer trips are all solo. If I am riding with a pillion its usually a little twenty mile trip down to Reno, Carson or Truckee and the Bonneviille is comfy and roomy for the passenger on those trips.

So the new Tiger I think will suit my long distance commuting and touring needs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Why are taking delivery in St. Louis? Weather can be tricky around there and in Texas that time of the year. I assume you are going to take the southern route through Texas, Arizona and Socal.

On 2006-11-11 12:22, playinthestreet wrote:
On 2006-11-11 10:55, ChuckofTahoe wrote:
Have they given you an idea when it will be delivered? I can hardly wait as well for your riding impressions.
Mine should be delivered in Jan. Then I have to ride it home from St Louis :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm a St Louis transplant and have dealt with Donelson's for a long time. Had them order a CA model so I won't have any registration trouble. I have my Honda in their museum and they'll take it in trade.

In all likely hood the weather will be bad and I'll have the bike shipped so I don't have to wait several more months.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey Chuck,

The ETA for my bike is around the first of Feb. according to the dealer, they are not entirely sure though.

Oh, and the triumph test ride was in town today and I had the chance to ride a Rocket III as well as sit on the new Tiger. You couldn’t ride the Tiger but you could sit on it. I have approximately a 31 inch inseam and sitting on the bike I just get both feet down flat. The seat is really comfortable and the suspension you can tell is plush, the suspension compresses a good inch and half to two inches when you sit on it (and I'm only 180 lbs.). I like the riding position a lot. I did not like the fact that when both feet are down, like at a stop, the foot pegs are inline with your legs and your inner calf somewhat rests on the pegs. Might just take some getting used to. As for the pillion height and position, the lead rider on the test ride had an '06 and when next to the '07 the pillion height really is not much higher. I believe it is just the perception because of the style and lines of the bike, since the rear of the bike projects at and upward angle. The pillion pegs though are a bit higher and will cause the pillion to bend their knees a bit more. Now the look of the bike in person is something. Most everyone around the bike kept saying how attractive it was in person compared to pics, I have to agree. Man, I sure wanted to start her up and just take off. :-D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was actually wondering, seeing as the riders seat is not so high, if you couldn't get the seat repadded to give the 'tallies' a bit more leg room and reduce the step between the two seats. Can't wait to ride the thing.

The Harley test fleet is coming to town next week so will maybe get a chance to try an Ully on the dirt.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts