Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The headline looks good,if read between the lines it's very debatable,they still reel of a string of things the GS is better at,the important ones!!.

[ This message was edited by: winger on 2006-11-29 05:32 ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Moke, thanks for the tip-off. I went out and bought an MCN (Motorcycle News). This is a good group test. Overall MCN give the Tiger top marks making it 4.5 stars. The GS and the MultiStrada are 4 Star and the TDM 3.5 Stars.

They really like the feel of the Triple engine, the power delivery. Overall they rate the 2007 Tiger as a semi naked sports tourer and less of a big Traillie. Quote

'It has the all round practical ability of the old Tiger, but also composure and sporting ability that few, if any, will be able to match.'

In my opinion BMW went the same route with the 1200GS over the old 1150GS. Any Triumph motorcycle has to be extra good to receive compliments from MCN. I can't wait for a Test Ride of the 2007 Tiger.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very selective!!!! what about the poor fuel consumption,that passengers will choose the BM,how the BM was better for motorway cruiseing!!! and it goes on!! bearing mind the BM's now 2 years old!!.

Big head lines,poor right up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There you go, for all those people who seem to think that MCN has a major grudge against Triumph... They place it top of the pile against others including a 1200GS...

If you guys who can't get MCN wanna read it, gimme a few hours and I'll scan it and turn it into a pdf... Message me with an e-mail address if you want it... Russ

·
Registered
370 Posts
the best artical i have seen about the new tiger is the current issue of motorcycle sport and leisure,a very informed veiw,and ridden by people who dont just ride pocket rockets.

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The only bit you need to scan in the MCN article is the England V Germany bit,ignore the extra half a star thats the MCN guys takeing the mickey!!!

As for MSL i've never read a bad report on anything in that mag,it's only the loonies in the letters page that make it remotely interesting to read,i've no idea why i subscribe to it!!!,seconds thoughts it might be the journeys in there!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
MCN do not have a happy relationship with Triumph (apparently) which is a shame.Nevertheless for MCN to give a decent report must mean that the new Tiger is a good bike,it's just playing a different game.I expect that 95% of GS and Triumph owners ride only on tarmac,that includes me otherwise I would have a bike that weighs a lot less than 200kgs.In the real world the BMW has no advantages over the Tiger and costs a lot more. It's a given that the triple engine is superior in every respect to a boxer.As for fuel consumption I can only assume that magazine test riders ride very hard.I've owned several bikes including the Tiger,and you would have to try very hard to get less than 40 mpg.I've toured with mates riding everything from BMW to Triumph to Jap sportsbikes and the fuel consumption varies between us by no more than 10%.Unless there is a 600 sportsbike which needs caning to keep up and returns 35 mpg or worse. In conclusion I think the new Tiger is a winner and look forward to a test ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just had an hour on the new Tiger and I can honestly say that it is a fabulous bike. Great engine is a given but it pulls from nowhere and will cruise at 110+ no problem with no hunting for 7th gear, add to that superb handling, road holding, gearbox, decent wind protection - no buffeting, though wind was directed to my chest - being 6'3". Decent instruments with trip computer, comfy seat (well fine for the 60 mins I had..) Negatives are all easily fixable (but should be there already IMHO..) - no centre stand, panniers, heated grips, rear rack, hand guards or fairing stowage though there is underseat stowage, enough for waterproofs . Didn't try the pillion seat but I never carry one though it'll be a consideration for many. Is it a real Tiger? not if what you want is a mock trially with a modicum of off road potential, but it does feel as familiar as the bike I rode to the showroom just a good bit better. So in my opinion it is; I just wish I could justify trading in my 05 but I still love it so I'll wait for a couple of years until they add the extras that I want. :-D To those about to take delivery of one - you won't be disappointed - gits

·
Registered
741 Posts
SS,
Thanks for the feedback on your test ride.
(Why not copy it to the sticky thread at the top of the page)

BTW, I went to Youles Tiger launch in Blackburn last night where Elvis rode the new bike into the showroom ! A strange sight indeed ! But I booked my test ride for sometime next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts