Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see, within the past week I have blown my knee out trying to kickstart my project bike, I pulled my back out a few days later trying to wheel the same bike around in the shop. Then of course I sold the one bike that did run and the buyer picked it up on Friday...that was kind of sureal. Somehow, I seem to have developed some bullsh** sinus, flu garbage.
Anyway, through it all, I thought for sure I had made the right choice on my next bike (the Bonnie Black) over the Thruxton....mostly for practical purposes, traveling long distances, riding a passenger, etc. Then I show a buddy of mine the bike on the internet and all he can say is "You sure it'll have enough power? You sure that bike isn't too small for you? You can borrow my Harley if you ever miss that big-bike ride - and you will, believe me" I never looked at my new position in any of these ways. I thought the Bonnie had more than enough power, especially with the exhaust and airbox mods. I'm also not the biggest person in the world either - 5-9in and 180lbs. I think the Bonnie is just fine for me.
I just don't know what end is up....maybe it's just the sinus meds, or the pain killers, or whatever, but I'm ready to just hang it up. I thought all my uncertainties were covered, but maybe not.
Any input from you all? I'm open to anything at this point. I'll talk later, I need to go take another Vikatin.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I plan to attend the mid ohio event this year, come out and tell your buddy to bring his hd and he can see the potential of a bonneville first hand :)

A stock bore bonneville with airbox delete and different exhaust properly jetted will not leave you disappointed...and the hd crowd you hang with whether they wish to admit it or not will be suprised by the bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A Bonneville will have plenty of oomph for you. I have 4 inches and 60 lbs on you, and my '05 790cc Bonneville with TORs & larger jets will go fast enough to alarm me if I wring it out. For me, the bike falls down in long-distance comfort for my butt and back. But, it's still wearing a stock seat and shocks. If I replaced those, I'm sure it would be a different story.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lets go, 02 FXDX, big bore, cams, Reinhart exhaust, and 42mm Mikuni.

I wouldnt worry about the Bonnie there Butcher, I am the same size as you and have no problem with the Bonnie. I dont do any passengers on the Bonnie though, but I think there are plenty here that do with no problems either.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
On 2007-01-29 16:08, cobra935o wrote:
Lets go, 02 FXDX, big bore, cams, Reinhart exhaust, and 42mm Mikuni.

I wouldnt worry about the Bonnie there Butcher, I am the same size as you and have no problem with the Bonnie. I dont do any passengers on the Bonnie though, but I think there are plenty here that do with no problems either.

Nathan
Nathan! I only want to pick on stock harleys!

I know a guy with an FXDX 103'' kit, headwork, cams, but I think he's running the stock carb. Still, that thing is a beast. I love the FXDX, I'd like to have one someday. All black baby.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess by power does he mean quickness? In those terms just think in terms of lbs/hp for a comparison. I think the Bonnie wins in most cases vs alot of Big Harleys.

My stock Bonnie impressed a couple of custom looking Street Glides one time on a ride. I made a tear down a straight stretch of road they were behind and I guess couldn't stay with me. They remarked how that "little" Bonnie is quick.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
All the guys I ride with are on Harley's. And to be honest
with you, all they do is slow me down. Exspecialy when
it comes to the twisties. The Bonnie handles like a dream.
Open the air, fuel and exhaust up and, you wont be
disappointed.
Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm 5'10, 165lbs, and the Bonnie is a great fit.

Why do you care so much about what others think of your choices?

I think you made a great choice in the Bonnie. It's not the fastest, quickest, lightest, best handling, best braking, most comfortable, or the cheapest bike out there... What it is, is fun. Quick enough to be fun. Fast enough to be fun. Light enough to be fun. And a great deal of fun for the price.
You can make it more of something but at a cost to another thing. If all you seek is the approval of others then my opinion is save money on big mods and buy another bike that fills the need. If you like personalizing for the joy of doing, and the challenge of solving problems, then by all means go for it! Just be sure that you are doing it for the right reasons...

I hope it was just the meds talking. (Vicodin)

As an aside to counter your buddys size issues:

Personally I wish that there were more smaller-engine modern bikes available. I would love a light, nimble, really rugged Scrambler with a 250cc to 350cc engine, and more metal than plastic, and a Triumph badge....

How much engine is enough? I rode from Seattle to Dodge City KS and back on a GL450. Even with camping gear strapped on I never felt underrpowered...

Admittedly I am not of the typical mindset when it comes to vehicles.
I am less of a fan of displacment, and more of the mindset that less is more.
Think; Lotus Elise not Corvette Z06, or CJ instead of H1...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Taking advise from a Harley owner on buying a Triumph is rather like taking advise from a crotch rocket owner about a Harley...( unless the HD owner own's a Triumph and is speaking from experience )... Very different machine's all together...

From reading your post's your gut would seem to be telling you bonneville, and if it is go for it...if it isnt don't.

Forget the worry's of it being big enough, or powerful enough, and most of all the worry's of what other's may say...

...the bonneville is all of the above.

Do a little readingAt this forum about the bonnie's those guy's own.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It totally depends on you: all the soul-searching you're doing is going to end up bringing you the one you most want, and it doesn't make any difference to anyone else. I will be so bold as to offer that if your mindset includes a delight in 60's British twins, buy the Bonnie. Even if you did wish it were either quicker or faster overall, or both, you can easily accomplish either or both with many readily available and time-tested and proven aftermarket goodies. I've done it, even converted to belt drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the words....really appreciate it.
I know I may seem like a real pain in the arse, but try to remember, I've been a Harley guy for many, many years and used to a whole different arena. I guess I just have to broaden my horizons and just jump in instead of testing the water with my tippy toes.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Butcher, +1 to so many great replies to your question. Many here have or had HD's. Your 06 Bagger (? model) is a bike in it's own class with unique history and qualities that separate it from the copy cat offerings. The same can be said of Triumph. Take a test ride before you buy. The power to weight ratio is incredible when you compare what you are tossing around to achieve fun and enjoyment in your ride. For touring Interstate and mild two lanes, I would give any rolling couch the nod (HD, Wing, Beemer). For anything focused on local surface streets, twisty's and moderate touring, a Triumph is hard to beat.

I checked the new HD's last week, I like the look/finish, but couldn't get past the weight, price point etc. The VALUE of the Triumph keeps me coming back when I start kicking tires on another purchase. BTW, if you picked up one of the cool new Sporty's, would your buddy still think you made a poor choice? Buy it for you and your riding needs. Decide and don't look back!

Cheers!
BobW

·
Registered
28 Posts
just buy a collection of cheaper bikes that cover all bases.
personally over here hd are classed as tractors and just get in the way of everybody,too sloow,dont go round bends(uk bends)
cant filter at any speed.
not knocking hd,they were built to chugg along the loong straight roads of usa i spose,our roads aint straight for long lol so its nice to have summat thatll do 80-120 thru the twisties,all day..

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hope you will take this the right way.

I've followed pretty much all of your threads and posts as you worry about this decision. It seems to me that when you have this many doubts maybe you really aren't ready to make the decision. Then you pile all the other troubles on top of it that you have. Personally, none of what you are going through sounds like fun to me. What would worry me would be that at the first little problem you would think you made a horrible decision. IE, you would be so busy worrying if you made the right one that any excuse to tell your self you didn't would convince you of your "mistake."

I'd be unwilling to agonize this much over a decision. I'd just walk away from it, because when you KNOW what you want you'll KNOW what you want (my apologies to Yogi) and then you'll do it. If its this much work, I wouldn't do it.

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
To echo what Monte said this should be fun! Remember the first time you rode a motorcycle? It gave me that pure, Innocent joy that I felt when I was a kid. I didn't worry about anything, life was simple again. If you don't have peace about it you will not enjoy it and then it's not worth it. Remember, it's not about which bike is best, it's about which bike is best for you!
On 2007-01-29 15:49, sweatmachine wrote:
tell your friend on the HD he can race me for pinks.
:gpst:
haha. That's classic. It's this kind of stuff that makes sweatmachine is one of favorite posters on this board.

[ This message was edited by: MattTriumphs on 2007-01-29 21:35 ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
When its winter and you're in pain and people are making you question your ideas its pretty easy to start thinking about hanging it up.
I have no idea whether a Bonneville is going to be enough bike for you or not. I'm just passing through this forum because i have some small interest in the twins. I don't think anyone can answer that question but you. What other people think is enough power doesn't mean anything since its all about what you like.
Example, I had a Suzuki 650 VStrom before my Tiger. I heard about what a great bike it is, plenty of power, greatest thing ever, yada. I had it six months and cashed it in like a pop bottle. I found it exceptionally boring. It was perfectly functioning I just didn't like it or connect with it emotinally. I feel the opposite about my Tiger, really like the bike, go figure.
All this, "My bonneville is better than any HD, blah, blah" strikes me as similar. I have a 2001 FXD that I wouldn't trade for any three of the best Bonnevilles (or even Tigers) ever made. I simply love the bike. I know all about its faults and limitations, I don't care, I'll ride that bike anytime.
If it were me I would be looking for a bike that makes you feel like I do about the FXD, no matter who makes it or what style of bike it is.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You force my hand;
images of my past rides that show it's all about one's (your) passion. Here is a brief history of my past 7 years, and "horsepower" has NOT been the issue. It's all about my love of bikes. You can't fight it, you gotta flow with it.......

I made a comeback onto a 69hp Sportster in 1999, went to a 79hp Beemer, jumped to a 107hp Triumph triple Sprint RS (not pictured), to a 61hp Bonnie, bought a used 124hp Universal Japanese Machine, and built a 59hp Bonnie wannabe café racer (still in the making).

Take my word for it, you OWE it to yourself to see what building your own Bonnie can do for your soul.

2000 XL1200'S'

2001 BMW R1150RA

2005 790 BonnieBlack

2003 Yamaha FZ1

2005 790 RetroRed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts