Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The manual of my '76 requires 97 octane, and the bike demanded that since new.

Just as a test, can you get some racing fuel?
Some gas stations in my area carry it, but you can go to most any racing track and get a gallon.
That runs around 110 octane and is often leaded.
You can run it straight or mix it with your 91 octane, say equal parts should give you about 100 octane.

See if that cures it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Thanks for your two cents, rousseau. I just now found a local dealer who carries Sunoco race fuels in 104, 110, 112, 114 & 116 octane...believe me, I always try to go the cheapest/easiest route first, so a fuel upgrade is my first avenue of exploration.

When I get a chance to try it, I'll let you all know the result.

I use Sunoco 110 (called "Standard") in mine. I suggested mixing 50/50 just to make a stong mix, but mine does fine on 2 parts premium 93 and one part 110 Sunoco, giving about 98 octane. Sunoco runs about $7.50/gallon around here but I have the New England distributor 6 miles away so we may be benefitting from that. Thursday and Friday afternoons are interesting times around there.

Like I previously said, mine always demanded high octance since new. It was even particular about brand. Gulf No-Nox was a no-no. It was Sunoco 260 all the way; Mobil in a pinch.

Be aware that the fuel runs hot, so the bike will act tempermental in the heat of summer with respect to idling and restarts, but I'd bet that it will not ping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.