Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I was a senior there that lovely day, when perhaps some hundred students were taunting the National Guard from a distance of several hundred yards when they began raggedly firing, continuing after shouted commands to 'cease fire'.

Unforgettable phrases from that day; Outside Agitators, Communists, the usual stuff used to smear the students as the 'other', those to be feared.

The hero of that day was a geology professor, Glenn Frank, who comforted the students and encouraged them not to retaliate and go home instead.

It was murder.

·
Registered
848 Posts
....Unforgettable phrases from that day; Outside Agitators, Communists, the usual stuff used to smear the students as the 'other', those to be feared...
Definitely a history lesson for today in those words.

I was a toddler when Kent State happened but reading about this event has definitely made an impact on me throughout my life. I'm a big believer in the phrase; those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Still pooping in my pants

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I was 13 myself. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young felt they needed to do something. According to Crosby, Neil walked into the woods, with his guitar, came back 15 minutes later having written the song Ohio. It was recorded and released within a week. Pretty amazing.
I sorta had the same feelings as you regarding Young writing the song and it being released in a matter of a few days. Two years ago there was a thread about this very event in history, I have a different perspective on what Young did because of what Weedie wrote in response to me saying the same thing as you, mind you I'm not making a comment on your thoughts, just that mine changed after reading what someone like Weedie (who had more invested then I) thought about it.

Here is a link to that thread from 2 years ago https://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang-out/824338-may-4-1970-a.html

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I was working then, I'm a little older than most of the above ^^^^^ guys.....
Me too... But the U.S. government had already locked me up [1967-68] for refusing to get involved in thier war. Killing and war does not align with my belief system. Christian teachings trumps politics. I would do the same thing again. ...J.D.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no interest in starting a Trump/Obama/Kennedy/Nixon political BS with this thread. I believe the word trump was used as in the context of cards. As in Christian teaching overrides politics.

Reminds me of the time I had a guy trying to argue with me about Trump because of what was printed on my hat. What was on the hat you ask. The word TRIUMPH right next my AMA Lifetime pin.

Nuff said afor I get in trouble.

K

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's best to have a cynical mistrust of government at all levels / the authorities / the "establishment" (UK reference) / the media / a long list.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yes KADUTZ. When I used the "T" word, I was speaking in a card playing sense. I am totally non-political. I too do not want to start a polarizing discussion. Those were difficult times and many were pushed in to making decisions they did not want to make. That is just what the world was at the time. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
By 1970 I was 24 and "bending wrenches" for a living. Worked for a German man who had somehow got through WWII by going to Switzerland. We worked on mainly VWs and Porsches. Some British stuff thrown in for flavor, in a college town full of hippies. Lots of work. Never touched any drugs myself. Those hippies had rich parents who kept thier cars running for them. Strange times indeed ! ...J.D.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts