Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I just received from Maxton regarding suspension mods for the S3.

Triumph Speed Triple 1050 2005 to 2008

FRONT

The front forks on the Speed Triple 1050 are upside down forks with radially mounted brake callipers. They are an unusual design in that one leg has rebound damping and no compression damping, the other leg has compression damping and no rebound damping. This makes setting up the damping up very difficult. Both fork legs have springs, which are on the soft side for the average rider weight. It is basically a cheap design of fork. The design has been chosen so that the user gets rebound and compression damping adjusters, without having to put damping adjusters at the bottom of the fork.

We replace most of the internals and modify others, so that the forks have rebound damping and compression damping in both legs. The rebound and compression damping is valved to suit your rider weight and what you use the bike for. We also modify the original fork tops to take our internals. We then fit harder Maxton springs to suit your rider weight. After the conversion the forks are adjustable for rebound damping and preload, the compression damping is not adjustable but has been valved to suit you and what you use the bike for. The Maxton cartridges costs £295.00 + V.A.T. To install the cartridges and service the forks costs £70.00 + V.A.T. We usually fit new fork seals as part of the conversion this costs an extra £20.00 + V.A.T.

REAR

The rear of the bike tends to feels very good on smooth roads but kicks you out of the seat a lot when ridden on bumpy A and B roads, this is because the spring on the unit is too hard for the average weight of rider, this means the bike handles better when you carry a pillion. We fit a softer spring to suit the rider’s weight and also to suit what he uses the bike for, making the bike more compliant. The unit also has a very poor range of adjustment in the damping (you will only notice a difference in the adjustment if you turn screws from maximum to minimum)

The cost of the respring is £60.00. We also supply a Maxton replacement unit, which is a fully adjustable, alloy, bodied, high-pressure gas unit that adjusts via shim stack system. The unit has a ride height adjuster and a spring to suit your rider weight and to suit what type of riding you do. The unit costs £405.00 but we also make a remote reservoir unit that has a second compression adjuster that costs £520.00. ALL PRICES EXCLUDE V.A.T.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A friend (who is a very experienced and fast rider) has Maxton suspension fitted front and back to his Tiger 1050 (same type of suspension system used on S3) and the handling of the bike is unbelievable. On twisty/bumpy Welsh roads the bike handles pefectly. Cost £1000 but if you ride hard and intend to keep it then Maxton is a great company.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just about all the lads I know who race or run fast road bikes have had their suspension done by Maxton. They are rcognised as one of the best in Europe. Think I'll be paying them a visit soon. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just about all the lads I know who race or run fast road bikes have had their suspension done by Maxton. They are rcognised as one of the best in Europe. Think I'll be paying them a visit soon. :)
I've gone for Ohlins rear and Racetec Gold Valve Kit and Hipo Springs for my weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts